Benefits of having a nursery bed?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Samuel_1988, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Morning all,

I watched gardeners world recently and heard the concept of a nursery bed for the first time.

I was just wondering what are the benefits to having a patch of land dedicated as a 'nursery bed'?

One thing has come to mind when I, say for example, receive plants which I do not know where to put at the time of receiving them. So I guess it would be advantageous to have a plant hotel area for short stays :)

I do not see any advantages of sowing seeds in a nursery bed as opposed to within plugs/containers within my polytunnel but that may just be because of I have yet to learn about any.

Thank you for your replies,

Samuel

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I use a spare bit of my veg plot as a nursery. Not one dedicated bit, just whatever happens to be free. The idea is you grow things on to a decent size before planting them into their final positions (great for flowers). Or for veg it's more of a 'holding' area, for example I always grow leeks after new potatoes, but the leeks need to be sown and get to a reasonable size whilst the potatoes are still growing and using up the space.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    As John says its ideal for growing on plants that have maybe outgrown their plugs or pots or for growing on things such as leeks or cabbages etc. Also good for propagating things such as soft and hardwood cuttings or sowing lettuce for example through the season, so you have replacements for when one is removed from the main growing area. I have even "heeled" some new bare root raspberry plants in to my nursery area before now, whilst I got the ground cleared and prepared for where I wanted to put them.

My nursery moves around a lot, it is whatever ground is free at that moment.

Steve...:)