Best Climber

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Feb 23, 2007.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

I am planning on putting up some trellis on a stone wall to block out the pub beer garden next door. Ideally I would like something that does not shed it's leaves in winter so we have year round coverage, however it would also be nice to have something that flowers in summer.

We have some Ivy growing over part of the wall and on to the ground which we could try to pick up and train over some of the trellis however it would be nice to have a flowering plant as well. Also I'm a bit of a novice so something not too difficult to grow would be good.

Would welcome your advice on what to buy and when to plant. Many thanks [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    My favourite is Clematis 'Early Snesation' - it has lovely evergreen leaves, and flowers early, hence its name!!

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=11368

There are some evergreen honeysuckles too. This is what the BBC gardening site says about that....

"L. japonica: the Japanese honeysuckle is a variable species with some outstanding forms, such as 'Halliana'. The flowers are pale cream, turning darker yellow just before they fade, and appear in pairs along the stems from mid-June to late November. Generally evergreen, unless there's a particularly cold winter. The wild form, var. repens, has bronze foliage and darker flowers. The Royal Horticultural Society has given 'Halliana' its Award of Garden Merit (AGM)"

3. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks D.

the honeysuckle may be more suitable as this is for the side of a patio area that we cannot see from the house and won't really get used till May so summer flowers would be better, though I do like the coverage you get with clematis and I understand they grow quite quickly - is honey suckle the same. Also I love the smell but wonder if some people will find it overbearing whilst sat on the patio.

4. sanuka

sanuka Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Honeysuckle has 2 possible disadvantages, EGW - it can get quite woody in the stem, which isn't attractive, and 2) it's pretty heavy for a trellis - it would need to be a fairly substantial trellis to take it.

I doubt if being overpowered by honeysuckle scent is a major problem! It's such a nice scent - and you do tend to find you get wafts of it, rather than being overwhelmed by it! A very pleasant problem if one at all. :D

I love passionflowers too, Sanuka - and even up here in Scotland, (admittedly in a mild winter) mine is growing beautifully, and has several buds ready to flower!

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,168
    I'd say Cobaea ... the Cup and Saucer Vine. There are many, many pics of mine up here and it's an ace plant which I only attempted last year for the first time from seed and I am so impressed and in awe of this plant.

If I remember correctly, pete told me he thinks the pods I've got, of which there are many, may ripen in the next month or two ... so seeds will be in the offering ..

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Another vote for passion flower. Grows well over ivy too if you want to double up ?

8. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    wouldn't he just say that...

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,168
    Of course he would, miraflores ... because he's that was inCLIMBED and a BM Babe besides [​IMG] !

But can't disagree as I have my fabulous P Victoria Purpuea which is blooming even as I type this missive ... it's my favourite climber and you can take a guess at my name ...

10. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    and I have my two daughters, which are my favourite climbers !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Doug Woods

Doug Woods Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try a dwarf plum tree and grow it in a fan shape?

12. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Gosh what a lot of responses! A dwarf plum tree in a fan shape sound fabulous but perhaps a bit too ambitious for me! I have looked at passion flower and thought it looks lovely. When do they flower, is it in the summer? If it would go with my ivy that would be ideal - which is the best variety?

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Trachelospermum Jasminiodes, the Star Jasmine, evergreen, white flowers in summer and has a fantastic scent. Only downside is possible frost damage. [​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,168
    Strangely enough, I have problems with it! Although Jasmines seem very popular here, they are not very popular in my garden! I don't get the "wow" factor that can be had there.

15. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    My passion flowers (white with purple centres) flowered all summer and were followed by orange edible fruits in autumn. The foliage is still on them, it never really died back this winter. I have clematis Royal Velours scrambling through the one outside the patio doors - a lovely combination.