Best Climber!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by tahsocks, May 21, 2011.

1. tahsocks

tahsocks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Afternoon,

I have just moved into a new house in the north west of England, and my backyard is (basically) a concrete slab surrounded by walls! The joys of terraced housing!

I've built my own planter boxes around the entire of the garden. I plan to have fruit bushes down one side, and I want the other side to essentially be green / bushy, with flowers etc.

I want a climbing plant that can grow to cover the wall, that isn't poisonous (I have chickens!) and is also very easy to maintain (my fingers are not that green).

Any ideas?

I know ivy goes mad, and is dead easy, but it's poisonous!

2. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    So many climbers to choose from! What's the aspect like? Does the wall gets sun, shade or partial shade.

I have tried lots of climbers in my garden - I really like potato vine and honeysuckle and passion flower. But not all are evergreeen which is another consideration if you want leafy cover in the winter.

Sun or shade?:)

3. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I like a jasmine officinale, myself. Vigorous, fab perfume and partly evergreen. Ideally, a mix of clematis, jasmine, honeysuckle with something evergreen.

When I was choosing climbers I read a book by Stefan Buzcacki called Top 100 Climbers (or something). He recommended jasminum beesianum,which i duly planted. It is IMO among the 100 Worst Climbers - tiny flowers, no scent, needs to twine, boring foliage. So don't get that one.

4. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
    Clematis montana is easy to grow and will quickly cover a large area ( also very easy to propagate so buy one plant and take a load of cuttings in the first year ).

Solanum crispum Glasnevin ( Chilean potato vine ) is a small leaved evergreen stunner if the aspect is sunny, but you will need to tie it in as it can get very high and leggy, and so prone to wind damage.

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I love Actindia kolomikta, I have successfully grown this in containers and it is moderately vigorous climber that just needs to be fed through some trellis or the like. Lovely attractive leaves; looks like they've been dipped in white and pink paint.

The Chocolate vine is also worth considering, much more vigorous but easily pruned.

There are many varieties of Clematis worth considering too, perhaps the ones that need just a tidy up in the spring or completely cutting back to ground level would easier to look after?

There are also shrubs that can be trained against a wall; Pyracantha is a favourite or how about Magnolia Grandiflora which is evergreen and has huge scented flowers when established...

:thumbsup:

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Tahsocks, WolfieKate is asking the right questions such as which direction does your garden face, is it shady, sunny, partial shade??? If you can answer those we'll be able to suggest some climbers that might fit.:D:thumbsup:

7. tahsocks

tahsocks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies!

The garden is east facing, and I'd like the climbers to grow up the surrounding yard wall / on a trellis.

It really needs to be fairly easy and hardy!! We've had awful wind recently, and I don't know if that's common here in the North West.

Clematis does look and sound like a good idea, and was something that I was considering.

Although I'd love something evergreen! I really hate looking out into my hard and seeing just red bricks and concrete.

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    Hello tahsocks and welcome to GC.

I would keep well clear of any of the potato vines as they are of the Solanum family (nightshade) and the berries are poisonous.

9. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, at least with the East you get the sun for half the day:thumbsup:
    Regarding being poisonous, just be aware that there aren't many plants in a British garden that aren't poisonous in some form or other:rolleyespink::dunno:

Some climbers to recommend are, Actinidia [Deciduous], Celastrus [Deciduous]. Clematis [there are some evergreen clematis, Armandii being one of them], Ivy, Hydrangea, possibly Jasmine but it's not completely hardy, Honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, Ornamental Vines, there are others but they probably too tender for where you are.:D

I've left out Roses, as they're an obvious choice.