Best cost-effective slug bait (pellets)?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Drahcir, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    I've been looking online at IronMax Pro, Sluxx HP and Gusto IRON, but these seem hard to find in small quantities (e.g. 5kg or less; the only one I've seen is 1kg a pouch of IronMax Pro for about £16).

Any recommendations (iron chelate bait)?

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    Since the change from metaldehyde, I suffer greater slug damage despite use of ferric phosphate pellets. I see no evidence of 'control' by this means , believing the bait (said to be pasta flour) to be less attractive than my crops. I gather from farmers that this is the general situation; and that the cost exceeds the benefit. I would be interested in members findings; actual results.
    I would support a reconsideration of somewhat inconclusive evidence regarding metaldehyde.
    Hedgehogs die from badger predation.
    Ferric phosphate is proven to be toxic to soil organisms; so is not without ill effects.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I just buy a packet when I'm in a garden centre and I agree, its not easy to see if they are working unlike Metaldehyde which was obvious.
    We are told they go away and die but I've not come across lots of empty snail shells.

I put some round a tub of potatoes yesterday and looking today, with the dampness, the snails are all over the potatoes so I would say they don't work, possibly because they don't actually attract the things.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      I am unsure if they are effective or not. I stopped using as our cat is attracted to them and I spotted her eating them (yet she won't eat her monthly working tablet 'treat')

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,155
        Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I would be happier if the bait was attractive (to molluscs) and reliably fatal.

• Agree Agree x 1