best flavoured carrot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sawfish, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew some huge carrots this year called Norfolk Giant unfortunately I found the flavour rather mediocre. Recently my mother bought some from a farm but didnt know the type, they were of medium size and quite thick with the sweetest strongest flavour I've ever tasted, so I'm wondering if anyone could suggest what they might have been?

thanks

2. good digger

good digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no idea what they were, but you could try new red intermediate,or nantes they have good flavour

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Normally veggies with names such as giant tend to be for competition growers where size is more important than flavour. This is a case of bigger definitely not being better.
    As good digger says try nantes or red intermediate - or both.
    There are a few varieties with short fat roots but I don't know any names off hand. Try the T&M website T & M - Carrots
    Good luck.

4. good digger

good digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    New red intermediate is an excellent eater and will grow in most soil types but it also quite good for exhibition but as blackthorn quite rightly says it is usually one or the other red intermediate is a good all rounder but of course to grow it on for the showbench requires totally different conditions than growing for eating and again blackthorn is right some of the big big ones are intended solely for showing and make dreadful eaters and then some of the commercial ones are produced for uniformity and high yield for supermarkets, and again T&M is the catalogue that will give you some good varieties, but remeber if it say giant big whopper it will more than likely be a giant big flopper in the kitchen,

5. Stroller

Stroller Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sawfish were they rounded blunt bottoms or were they long tapering ones ? ...

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  7. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    round bottomed and powerfully sweet Stroller.