Best strimmer for a gardener?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Newbienoidea, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    hi all
    Looking to get a new strimmer for my gardening business. I'm coping at the moment however I'm finding more and more gardens where the grass can't be reached with the mower around the edges. I'm looking at a strimmer, what do you recommend?
    I've also been thinking out side the box and possibly getting a cordless one, has anyone any experience with these?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,618
    For business use I'd go for a good make like Stihl and petrol powered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,458
      Stihl would be what i'd go for as well

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        I've been using one of these Honda 4 stroke petrol strimmer/brushcutters for years (around 10?) and have been very pleased with it, used regularly on grass paths and orchard areas of a 0.6 acre plot for both strimming and brushcutting and never had a single problem honda umk425e - Google Search

P.S. I prefer the 'loop' handle on that model above to ones with 'handlebars', tried the latter once and just couldn't get on with it, and I also never bother using a sling either.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        I have a petrol Husqvarna 327 (Rx?) It was bought in 2010. Never caused any trouble or needed spare parts other than getting a new bump head which is a godsend from ease of replenishing the strimmer wire/thread. I have a huge garden of about 2 acres with considerable lengths of grass banks and other places the lawn tractor can't get to so the strimmer is used a great deal. Like others have said also look at Stihl, yes expensive but worth the extra if you are going to be using machines regularly. Scrungee will know what he is talking about too:).

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Another vote for Stihl.

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          I use cordless strimmer , very convenient. But the grass needs to be dry and the strimmer fully charged . I get about 20 minutes full power strimming ,more than enough for my garden. For business use I think a petrol one would be the way to go.

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I killed my first strimmed. I was using it to cut through 3 ft high nettles and weeds behind my old shed.

I find that the thread doesn't last long before it snaps off. For years I've been taking the spool out each time and re threading it. I recently discovered that if you push the button on the spool holder, the thread pulls through easily. :doh:

G.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Stihl do a range of brush cutters. They do 4mix and the run of the mill 2 stroke without the need for valve adjustment.
          To be honest i dont think Stihl are as good as they once was in some respects but that seems to be the case on most tools nowadays sadly.
          I would stick to petrol for a business as they work in all weathers.
          Pop in to your local Stihl dealership and have a look whats going.
          As a side note the 4mix machines need the Ultra oil to work at their best so its a bit more expensive where the plain old red can be used in the standard 2 stroke stuff which as you will know is smelly work.
          Ive several Stihl brushcutter right up to their big boy range and ive 2 kombi engines, ones a 130 4mix and off the top of my head the other is a 94 standard 2 stroke. The 94 can be controlled via the handle so you can limit the rpm where the 130 is pretty much a work hard tool and not so easy to control.
          So the 94 is used most of the time for the odd bit of work around areas that need it.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
            +120
            I am not a fan of stihl...far eastern brands have caught up and passed them.

For your business you really need two. A lightweight loop handle one for lawn edging, and a handlebar brushcutter for cuttings banking, larger areas and long grass.

For a loop handle one, the tanaka tbc230s is hard to beat. It has lower vibrations than any similar sized stihl (a very important factor). Mine has been used for years and starts no problem. It has required minimal maintenance.

For the big machine it's a bit more even and I'd go with a brand that your local service shop can get parts for quickly. I still use an old Echo SRM4000, and rate echo way above stihl/Husq, but they are pricey.

For line, try Husqvarna Whisper X. Really good stuff.

And best of luck! If you're reliable the work will come in. I have been turning down work for 8 years!

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
              +21
              Thanks for all the advice! Petrol seems to be the way forward then. I've yet to find a local still dealer although most of my tools bought so far has been online.

• glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
              +120
              If you want electric you'll need to spend big money on pellenc or similar.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,259
                If you go to the Stihl website you should be able to locate your nearest. Try other manufactures and see who’s local, very handy when a tool goes down and you need to get parts or repaired.
                One lesson I’ve found is that the lesser known brands dealerships come and go.
                My local husky dealership closed, my local landscape trade supplier does a few Echo machines but does not carry spares and has no tool experience and so I’m really struck with Stihl.
                I’m not keen on their 4mix or the way they have over complicated the simple fuel cap and the carbs that tend to hate modern fuels but they are the only manufacturer on offer near me so I use them.
                Normally it’s a simple £5 part that fails so you end up with a box of spares. Wiring loom on the small Stihl blowers, a silly bolt and nut on their kombi and so on. All little items that if you don’t have mean a trip and wasted time so you end up being a spares guy.