Best way to sieve rubble out from soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Oct 20, 2024 at 11:34 AM.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,121
    The weather is improving so I thought I'll make a start but wanted first to ask for your kind advise. :SUNsmile:

I have metal mesh sheets. I have a hole in the ground where the soil can fall. I have loads of brick rubble in my crumbly clay soil.

What's the best approach? Shall I just fix the mesh over the hole and pile the soil on it and then perhaps brush it? Wet or dry? Or would washing the soil off with a hosepipe work better?

I'd like to use the rubble as the base layer for my future gravel path so removing as much soil as possible would be great.

Thanks!

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,414
    If you can use the mesh sheets on top of something portable like a wheelbarrow or bin, it would make it easier for you to relocate the sieved soil @Selleri, unless you want it to fill that hole. I wouldn't introduce water unless you fancy a mud bath :biggrin:. The rubble you want to use once the soil has been sieved out could then be hosed down in your preferred location, if necessary.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2024 at 11:48 AM
  3. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,992
    How big are the rubble pieces? I wouldn't bother sieving out anything less than about a quarter of a brick - it'll help with drainage. But then, I have natural pebbles in my soil of all sizes up to about the size of my fist so I suppose I'm used to them. If I dig up a big one whilst planting something I might chuck it under the hedge but everything else gets left.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
      Ratings:
      +596
      I would be inclined to just pick them out as you see them. Trying to sieve the whole garden will be a mammoth task.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,121
      Thanks all!

The rubble bits are about the size of olives and the areas I want to sort out have around 80% of it. In some parts there is practically no soil but just a 10cm layer of rubble, which is easy enough to scoop out by hand.

However, as I plan to use it in the gravel path I'd like to minimise the amount of soil to make future weeds at least a tad unhappy :biggrin:

Leftovers will just be mixed in to improve the soil structure. Every little helps in clay soil. :)

upload_2024-10-20_17-10-20.png

upload_2024-10-20_17-10-55.png

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +5,221
      I wouldn't spend a lot of time sieving those - and it does need to be dry or the soil sticks.

I have a lot of gravel like that mixed into beds/borders - it all helps with drainage. The whole 'back garden' was those red chuckies [as we call them here] so it was useful when I created a raised lawn.
      A lot of them stayed in situ as I was also making paths, but they were covered with membrane and then had a more attractive gravel added on top :smile: