Big Bay Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by LizM, Apr 22, 2006.

1. LizM

LizM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Could anyone possibly tell me if the root spread of a bay tree is dangerous to house foundations?

A neighbouring house has a tree planted approx 6 -7 feet from the back of my home and their bay tree has grown to approx 25 - 30 foot high and approx 8 foot wide.

With thanks.

Liz

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi LizM and welcome!

That's quite large, are you sure it's a Bay (Laurus nobilis). They don't normally overwinter outside very well although they will reach that size once established.

If it is I doubt if it will be a problem as bay roots don't travel too far and they are slow growing. If you are worried you could dig a trench on your side of the property boundary and sever any large roots.

3. LizM

LizM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. I was told it is a bay tree, I certainly hope so as have been using the leaves in my cooking!

At the moment is has lots of little yellow round things in clusters on the ends of the branches. I will try the trench digging exercise.

Liz

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I hate to say this, but many years ago a boyfriend bought me a small bay tree which I kept on my windosill - just like you do with basil from Sainsburies.

May bay tree is now about 15 ft high!
    It has survived flood and frost contrary to everything the book says. I do use it for cooking and regularly hack it back.

6. LizM

LizM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The neighbours tree is massive, taller than my house. Guess I will have to ask them if they will cut it back as I've noticed a couple of my neighbours in their garden glaring at it!

7. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Waco, hope your bay isnt still on your windowsill!!

Sorry, couldnt resist

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    well bits of it sometimes are - ready to go in the pot ;)