Big Cone Pine (Pinus coulteri)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bilbo675, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi All, the thing I just love growing things from seed, especially unusual things and trees/shrubs, I don't always have space for them afterwards, just love the buzz I get from growing something from seed.

Well one of my successes is a lovely Big Cone Pine, it's about 5-6 years old now and in a large 45lt pot and stands almost 6ft tall including the pot.

Now the thing is I potentially have a spot for this tree at the bottom of our garden where a large ceanothus bush has almost been killed by last winter's weather, but I'm also contemplating donating it to a park or arboretum or even a private collection if it's good enough. But how would you choose the right place, somewhere where it's going to be safe from the local vandals etc... sounds over protective I know but after growing this tree for so long I want the best for it lol.

Any ideas..

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,881
    Hi Bilbo675,
    Have you got any local large houses/mansions that open their gardens to the public, it would be fairly safe there.
    Or do you have a forestry commission of sorts that might be able to help.
    It's difficult letting go of these babies eh! :cry3::)