Big Dutch Hoe wanted

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by misterroy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. misterroy

misterroy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm after a big dutch hoe to knock the weeds over before planting time, my soil is sandy and easy to work and I reckon I could easily yield a 12 inch hoe on small weeds, is there such a thing, the chief use would be on bare ground. Anyone with experiences? A long shaft would be good too. Buy one or make one? There is a power hacksaw at work, and it uses fairly strong blades, I fancy the next blunt blade as a hoe.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    :old:12" Dutch hoe...... crikey.. that will give you a few muscles.. I know it would finish me.

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Some DIY sheds have started selling a tool that looks like a Dutch hoe on steroids. Don't know what it's called but it's actually a very strong skraper on the end of a long handle and it's intended for lifting floors tiles, stripping off plaster or just about any kind of indoor mayhem you may wish to do.

It would be great in the garden too, for chopping out roots or slicing off stubborn weeds.

PS the system won't let me spell skraper the right way!

5. supershedgirl

supershedgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never been able to use hoes. What's the secret?

6. misterroy

misterroy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I just poke it about, seems to do the trick. My soil is very sandy, so a big dutch hoe would meet very little soil resistance, I only planned using it before i planted anything, to clear the soil. I ordered an 8 inch oscillating hoe in the end, they look like the way to go.

7. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A GARDEN TOOL ARENT WE ?? :lollol:

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,171
    Slap hands, Kathy .... but it does sound rude if you say it with a Southern American accent .... whoa ....:lollol: Hope you and your Sis had a good Christmas and New Year.

supershedgirl, I find them invaluable for weeding ... in the little space I can use one that is! All I do is shove it under the soil/weed and push it forward and then pull it back. It aerates the soil as well. :gnthb:

9. spadge

spadge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For a minute there i thought i was at the wrong site ( or right depends which way you look at it!)