Bindweed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kitte, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Kitte

Kitte Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have an invasion of bindweed. It stems from a four inch gap between mine and the neighbour’s fence, so I can’t get to the roots system.
    Researching what to do, other than keep ripping it down, I came across this tip, and I wondered if anybody has tried it !

Stick some canes into the ground, wait till a good amount of growth has formed. Pull out the canes and stuff the bunched up growth into a plastic bag, soak it with Roundup, close the bag tightly and wait!

Do you think it would work ?????

• Agree Agree x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957
      Yes it's a tried and tested method that works well.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      Yes. Keep the target intact, so that the glyphosate works its way all the way through the system.

The only exception to the keep it intact advice is if it flowers. You want the flowers off before it produces seeds, as seeds are unaffected by glyphosate.

Other variations on the trick include cutting up pop bottles or anything to make a tube big enough to slot over the bindweed so you can spray into it without worrying about drift affecting neighboring plants. This stage is more for when you've got the main infestation under control, but find seedlings of bindweed popping in your flower beds.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      If you're buying RoundUp, do check the active ingredients list (in tiny print on the side of the box or bottle). Glyphosate is being replaced by pelargonic acid which isn't systemic and doesn't work. I'd also be wary of the 'ready-to-use' sprays which are over-diluted. You need glyphosate concentrate.

• Agree Agree x 3