Bird Of Paradise Plant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SamuelT, May 12, 2009.

1. SamuelT

SamuelT Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've recently started growing some Bird Of Paradise plant seeds that I bought in Madeira last year. I've had them in the airing cupboard for around a month and finally I've got a couple of shoots.

My question being: how do I make sure I don't kill them? Should I keep them in the airing cupboard until leaves start forming or should I get them out into sunlight straight away?

Having scoured the internet I'm also a little unclear on watering and soil type. I've read that I should water the plant a lot, but is this necessary at such an early stage? (I'm currently giving them a very small water every three days or so). Finally, I've been growing them thus far in some bog-standard 'potting soil' that I bought for a few quid at B&Q. Should I transfer them over to some kind of tropical plant mix?

Thanks for any help in advance,

SamuelT

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Hi Samuel, I would take them out of the airing cupboard as soon as a shoot appears and put thim in a sunny widow sill.
    Pot them singly into 31/2" pots for starters and keep the compost just damp, dont keep it wet or they may rot.

Any multipurpose compost will be OK at this stage, providing your prepared to give the plants a liquid feed in a month or so.

3. SamuelT

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Pete! :)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hello SamuelT and welcome to GC.

May I just add to pete's comments that I assume you know you have to 'mollycoddle' them over there for at least the first seven years of their life before you MAY see a flower ... and then for their remaining life.

I have a miniature clump here (not the tall standard size) which I actually bought already in bloom (and paid about 35 Euros for it as I'm an impatient gardener) some four years ago already with blooms, so it's about 10/11 years old now and I've just had four blooms this year, a little disappointing. I also have a Strelizia nicholai which is 7-8 years old (bought the year before last on special at 20 Euros) ... the white/black tall one ... which I lost to two days of light frost this year but it has new shoots coming .... I've never seen it bloom ... and at this rate I don't know when I will.

Mine are planted in our red clay soil with added compost and fed occasionally ... when I think of it to be honest and watered regularly in the summer as we go for six months without rain.

Here's the recent link ....

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/strelitzia-reginae-20710.html

You MUST have patience with them .... good luck and enjoy the forum.

5. SamuelT

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice and welcome Victoria. Yeah - I was aware they can take a few years to bloom: patience is a virtue!

I will mollycoddle the l'il fella as best I can! As I'm in a flat there's no danger of frost damage - I have read they're not a big fan.

6. SendaCow

SendaCow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thought i'd contribute to this convo just in case its things that might help you get it to flower -
    The soil around Birds of Paradise plant needs to be kept moist all spring and summer but should be allowed to dry out slightly between watering in the fall and winter. They will also need a good amount of sunlight so placing a timer-set-lamp would probably be a good idea too :)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Mine has just started to flower today - very exciting as its my first ever flower!

[​IMG]

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well done Kristen,I lost my nicolai this winter after growing it from seed it was 5years old suppose I got a bit complacent with the mild winters.:(

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think my outdoor plant is yet again going to put up what I call a double flower.

I think this is the second year running that its happened.

[​IMG]

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Lucky you, Pete. Mine had four blooms and has gone into 'rest mode' or something .... :dh: Look forward to seeing it in bloom .... :gnthb:

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    ah well its summer there, spring is just starting here:D

12. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Hi there,

I too have been growing BOP from seed(for 2 years), and i agree with Victoria, you have to have patience, mine took almost 5 months for it to sprout, and mine is also slow growing in the fact that it wont be placed outside, our weather is to unpredictable here, but its getting there.....sloooooooowly.

Good luck with your's.

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
  14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
  15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Looking good, Pete. Isn't it amazing how quickly they open? One of mine was like your yesterday photo and a half hour later it was like your today photo. :)