Birdsfoot Trefoil

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by clueless1, Jul 10, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've been after some birdsfoot trefoil in my lawn for ages, but I always miss the seed pods.

I noticed up my dad's way today some stunning ones, proper fire colours of yellow and vivid orange with bits of crimson, and the seed pods are starting to form on it too. I'm going to collect some maybe at the weekend or maybe in a week or so. I want to give the pods a chance to ripen, but catch them before they split.

Once I've done so, any tips on introducing it to my lawn? Is it just a case of scattering the seeds on the lawn and letting nature do its stuff?

Also, I know that some of relatives of the pea are quite poisonous. Is this so with birdsfoot trefoil? I've read that its mildly toxic to grazing animals but I cant find any reference to toxicity to humans.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It grows very quickly from seed Clueless, I bought some off ebay for my "grass free lawn" and sowed them in a nursery bed - they germinated within a week. I should imagine that seedlings will find it hard to compete with grass in a well established lawn, so maybe you should grow it in a tray and transplant.

I've no idea about toxicity, I would treat it with respect but no different to other plants in the garden.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Been out and collected some seed pods today. What now? Do I need to leave them to dry out and split naturally? Will they need a cold period?

I have some freshly prepared bare earth ready, can I just chuck the seeds on and see what happens or do I need to be a bit more strategic about it?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      I would dry the the pods out until they are brittle or split open themselves. I don't think they need a cold period, just try sowing a few clueless. Sow them in drills the same as anything else so you know what are trefoils and what are weeds.

• Like Like x 1