Birthdays when you were young- and now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Selleri, May 26, 2023.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Inspired by The Child's birthday today I went down the memory lane to my own birthdays as a kid in the early 70's.

My Mum always brought a birthday breakfast tray (trays were only used for very special occasions) to my bedside where I had been pretending to still be asleep for hours :heehee:

The tray had my milk and samples of the baking we had prepared the day before in preparation for the onslaught of the relatives who would cram into our home for the celebration later that day (any excuse for a visit was embraced in those days, everyone came even when the occasion was as grand as a 5th birthday of a child of the second cousin)

Oh, and the presents! The small ones were on the tray and the disappointingly soft ones next to it. :) The whole family sat on my bedside watching me opening the presents.

Fast forward to the 21st century, I continued the breakfast tray tradition for years with our Child when she was young. When she became a teenager I transferred the ceremony onto the dining table and we still continue the miracle of a birthday morning when the star of the day appears and finds the treats and the parcels waiting for her.

Very touchingly, my Child now carries the tradition on for me, and prepares a Birthday morning surprise table for me :wub2:

What were your birthdays like when you were young?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,303
      Wasp-ridden :biggrin: Oh how they loved cake, jellies and lemonade kindly provided in the garden in August :help:
      They haven't improved with time. Everyone pees off on holiday for the month over here :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,551
        Don't really remember them, 18th (1977) was spent in a minibus on a tour of Newcastle on wet, cold January morning; followed by university interview in the afternoon.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,365
          Things were slightly different for me.

I do remember, sometime in the late 1940's, being told by my dad that I don't need to go down to the kitchen at 6 a.m. to light the coal fire (the kitchen was also our dining room and living room as our main room/lounge was reserved for special occasions). The early lighting of the fire was really no imposition as I was always up well before then.

I don't remember presents although I'm sure I did get them. :noidea:

Since 1965 Mrs Shiney and I have always been in the Lake District for my birthday but haven't been since before Covid. We're going up there soon to see whether they may have moved a few mountains since we were there last.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,769
            Family and friends gathered at our house for my birthday party. Nobody hired a venue in those days. Not even the posh family down the end of the street.

Birthday bumps was probably the oddest tradition for me. Basically four of the biggest people there grab an arm or a leg each and fling you up in the air loads of times. Once for each year old you are, then 3 more being one for good luck, strangely, one for bad luck, and one for all.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +55,091
              Not memorable, Sis and I were shuffled about between States and Countries. Used to come on holiday to Portugal for years ... ;) Go out for a meal to somewhere nice with friends now. :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +48,925
                My earliest memory is my 4th birthday sitting on Mum's lap in the living room. She is helping me opening cards and presents but can't remember what I got.

The other clear memory is my 14th, I was working on the farm driving the combine at harvest time and none of the other workers believed me when I told them it was my birthday.

Mrs JWK and myself share the same birthday so we tend to celebrate more on Mother's Day and Father's Day which is coming soon. It's just an excuse to get the family round for food, drink and games.

• Like Like x 3
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +48,925
                  I never had a kids birthday party as they do these days. It was always at home with my 3 siblings plus Mum fostered, so there were usually another couple of kids around the table. The only different thing to any other day was a birthday cake and singing Happy Birthday.

• Like Like x 2
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +91,978
                    I never had parties for birthdays when young either, used to get cards from a few relatives and the odd £1 note inside, i was rich for a few weeks.
                    I've never had a birthday since I was 21 so basically I will always be 21 and a few months, 564 or so. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +48,925
                      That's jogged my memory, I had the same feeling when I saved up my birthday money. I had it in half crowns, big coins that could buy a lot of sweets (worth 12.5 new pence for the youngsters here). I had 8 in my purse and it really felt like a lot of money.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +91,978
                        I used to love the old half crown coins, they had that heavy feeling, like you really had some money in your pocket.
                        Thinking back it was a strange amount of money to bother making a single coin for, but then I guess it was an eighth of a pound. :smile:

• Like Like x 1