Bit of advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by captainhastings, Mar 6, 2011.

1. captainhastings

captainhastings Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Do these plants look ok ? They have shot up with in a couple of weeks but they seem very gangly.
    They are on the window sill at the moment indoors. I did have about another 10 in the basket but yesterday moved them into the green house (which might be too cold yet)
    Do i need to do any thing with them as far as shoots go ? These are tumbling pearl tomato

[​IMG]

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Captainhastings. Your tomato plants look OK. Yes, they are a bit leggy but that always happens with plants planted early.
    Keep your tomatoes in a light, cool place. Too much heat and they will be soft and leggy.
    When you transplant them, plant them right up to their seed leaves. They won't mind at all and it will get rid of some of the legginess.
    The tomatoes you have in the greenhouse - don't know what kind of temps you have out there - but I'm sure they would be the better of some fleece over them at night and on cold days.

3. captainhastings

captainhastings Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    That's great thank you could I use an old sheet or blanket as a fleece as I see there are proper tomatoes fleeces you can buy

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Captainhastings. You could use a sheet or blanket but you would have to put in supports to keep the weight off the plants - and they keep the light out.
    Garden fleece is very cheap to buy - you can get some in B&Q, Poundland, any nursery for not much more than £1. It's very lightweight, lets the light through and when used outside lets water through as well. Lasts for years and is a really good investment.
    If getting to the shops in time is the problem, then a few sheets of newspaper laid over things will do a perfectly good job - much preferable to the blankets.

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Captain, to help stop your windowsill sowings going leggy put a silver foil covered piece of card against the room side of the pot/tray to reflect the window light back onto the sowings. If you bend the card in two you can slide one half under the tray and pot to keep it in position.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    I would plant those seedlings deeper, up to their seed leaves, you can re-plant them anytime - the sooner the better as they are a bit too leggy.

I think its way too early to put tomato seedlings in a unheated greenhouse. If the temperature drops below 10 deg C they stop growing, below 7 deg C and they go a purple colour and will sit around and sulk for weeks.

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I do that.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,480
    If you are intending to grow those tomatoes in that basket (which I guess you are) then I would be inclined to put a lot more compost in there to give them a much better chance.

So instead of planting them deeper just fill the basket with compost up to their seed leaves.

9. captainhastings

captainhastings Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Well I put some more compost in and they seem to be flying now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Think I will try and get some more compost in though.
    They are meant to be tumbling tomatoes so I guess they will start leaning at some point

10. captainhastings

captainhastings Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Just been reading the instructions and it says

PROVIDE ADEQUATE SUPPORT AND TIE IN REGULARLY. REMOVE SIDE SHOOTS AS THEY APPEAR AND RESTRICT THE PLANT TO ONE MAIN STEM. ON OUTDOOR PLANTS REMOVE THE GROWING TIP IN LATE SUMMER TO HASTEN RIPENING

so should I remove and side shoot below the main fork ?
    I was thinking because they look like this hopefully :
    http://suttons.hostserver1.co.uk/im/pd/VETOM24036_2.jpg

I would leave the side shoots ?