Biting off more than I could possibly chew

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lollipop, Jan 5, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All,

Having decided thanks to some encouraging words from some of the guys and gals here to go for it on the veggie front, I have now completed my collection of seed packets.

Thanks to some free seed trials I am now looking at around 100 beetroot seeds ( those are definitely going in the seed parcel-don`t even eat them)

but alongside those these are the varieties I have chosen. I know there are some experts on here so fire away if I have made a mistake or you know some stuff I need to look out for

sweet pepper F1 Gypsy
    Broccoli calabrese autumn spear
    Turnip Golden Ball
    Cucumber burpless
    prima top
    celery loretta
    giant red
    onion white lisbon
    north holland bloodred redmate
    tomatoes gardeners delight
    tumbling tom
    swiss chard bright lights
    spinach perpetual
    parsnip white gem
    sweetcorn sundance
    squash F1 cobnut
    courgette floridor F1
    pea -snap type Jessy
    desiree potatoes

Tempting to think I might have overdone it-but I am a vegetarian-as is my daughter, and not one of those that eats fake meat. I have a veg patch that is approx 2mx2m, and will be using plenty of pots aswell as trying a bit of mixed planting a la Geoff Hamilton so some will be around the garden too.

I fully intend to be organic, so no slug pellets or pesticides-apart from of course the use of fairy liquid in a sprayer. There`s a stables ( actually loads of them) near me so plenty of muck is available to me.

I will either be a very happy bunny next ( sorry) THIS year or a very hungry one.

Fingers tightly crossed.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    Its a great selection, and you will be able to get 2 crops at least on the same bit of ground (like onion followed by calabrese). I'm sure you must have some space for rocket and radish as well :) - they are fast growers so you should be able to grow them in any spaces that become vacant. The obvious ones that need a lot of room are the squash, courgette, spuds and sweetcorn. With 4 sq m you are going to struggle to get all those in. Squash, courgette and spuds you can dot about singly or in pots elsewhere, but the sweetcorn you need to grow together in a block to get good pollination and hence nice fat cobs - and they take a long time to grow/mature - so I think you are a tad too ambitious to squeeze in sweetcorn.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    You've got a nice selection Claire, sow the peas successively in small drills so you get them thought the summer rather than as a glut obviously the same with the salad crops.

As john suggests, id grow the sweetcorn separately as a block, start them off in 3" pots then transplant once they've got to 4-5".

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As the guys have said sweet corn is best planted in a block to get the very best out of them and with your tiny veg plot you will not be able to do that.

If in your 'normal' garden you have a nice sized space there is no reason why you can't grow a nice block of them in your flower borders I was thinking of doing that last year as one of our gardens is a jungle theme and sweetcorn looks kind of bamboo-ish or at least it does to me!:wink: Hel.xxx.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`ll find room for the sweetcorn then in the borders, I do have big borders-how many should I put together and what do you reckon in the success rate-how many should seeds do I bank on losing in order to maintain a good crop?

add-working on the principle of the smallest viable crop.

6. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with all of that lollipop, you've already had good advice so I can only add that if you do have a slug problem there is a control available, http://www.theonlinegardener.com/product.asp?prod=1007834. Wilco did stock it last year and it's approved for organic growers and is helpful for protecting young small plants.

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Lollipop

It's an interesting idea to put sweet corn plants in a border and I reckon you'd need to group at least four together in a block for good pollination. They like feeding because they've got to make a big plant in a relatively short growing season so they'd probably not want to be in competition with any big hardy perennials that you might already have in your borders.

Is Sundance an F1 hybrid sweetcorn? If it is, you won't have many failures, particularly if you start them off in pots, peat pots or something similar.

P.S. Don't forget they need plenty of sunshine too.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It is Flinty, I can give them some competition free space by using planters grouped together on the part of the driveway which is at the front of the house which is a suntrap, plenty of pollination opportunity there and sun. I would have to water them myself, and probably more often because of the temperatures that are reached there.

9. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Lillipop,
    looks to me like you will have great fun with your veg plot and should have many yummy dinners out of it too.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I have a veg patch that is approx 2mx2m"

Blimey, it will be tight then ...

Personally I would only grow these in a greenhouse. Outdoors they are in the ground a long time for a short harvest period (IMHO):

tomatoes
    sweet pepper
    Cucumber

I'd then look at the cropping time and space requirements for the rest, and I'd also be a bit concerned about crop rotation in a small area - you won't have much, if any, chance to not reuse the same soil year after year for the same crop

The Spuds will need a long season, and a fair bit of space for you to have much of a crop, but they have a high yield.

The "faster" crops would be Spring onions, Turnips,

The Calabrese is medium length crop (12 weeks) but pretty high yielding - if you can keep the Cabage Whites off them!

The Celery is too long a season, and too small a yield, for a small plot IMHO - but if you really love celery then that makes it a different story! Parsnips also have a long season, and Onions.

Squash, and to a lesser extent Courgettes, needs lots of space. Maybe plant on a corner and let them sprawl over the path?

Sweetcorn needs a good Summer, so will give variable results depending on the weather, and would be low on my list for a small garden for that reason. You can plant them further apart, and grow a catch-crop of lettuce etc. in between. But you need about 18" between the plants, and I reckon you need more than 4 in a block - I always think that the "corner plants" don't produce as well as the ones in the middle - they are wind pollinated, so the ones on the outside have less of a chance.

But Good Luck, and I hope it goes well.

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks again Guys, Where possible I will using pots and growbags for the stuff. Whilst I don`t intend to make any failures I am bound to but hope to learn from them.

I know, of course, I can always ask for help.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I know, of course, I can always ask for help"

I thought you just did? You mean you are planning to ask for help AGAIN? !!

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think it`s a given Kristen-sorry.

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'd better pack my spade and come and give you a hand then!

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Anytime you like Kristen, I can always find room for a little one.