Bizarre gardening injuries!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by windy miller, Nov 5, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Collected some Thunbergia seed pods the other day, left them on the windowledge and forgot about them. Until they went off with a pop and nearly had my friends eye out :eek: :D Now I know why they call them Black Eyed Susan :D :D

Anyone else had any bizarre gardening injuries????

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Love it Windy - but I don't suppose your friend was so impressed she became a sudden convert to gardening.... :D

Nothing particularly bizarre springs to mind - just the usual range of attacks by roses (particularly climbing ones and the moss roses.... And plenty of strains and sprains. Just love that Gardeners shower gel, bath salts and balms :rolleyes:

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily, she already is a gardener so saw the funny side of it :D She kept the seeds though... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Weird accident!

An all too common one befell me. I'd been pruning a holly tree, took my glasses off and stepped back to see how the shape was going. Walked forward again to lop another bit off and the branch I'd just cut poked me in the eye. It was 2 hours later before I could even think about driving home. Very lucky there was no permanant damage done.

I've also bounced a fork off my foot but had the steel toecappers on. Had I been wearing trainers or rubber wellies it would have been a hospital job.

I've also stepped into a wasp's nest - it's amazing how fast you can move given an 'incentive'. :D

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny story Windy - glad your friend was ok!

I sliced a v-shaped chunk out of my finger last spring whilst pruning fuschias in the greenhouse. Daisydog was being nosey on the outside and was trampling plants, so I looked up and shooed her off... then snipped before I looked back down :rolleyes:
    Luckily, although deep, the flap was still connected - still numb now and a bit lumpy :D

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps we should nominate gardening as an 'extreme sport'??? :D :D

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Whilst pruning the almond tree a couple of years ago, one branch whipped back and caught me in the eye ... had a lovely shiner! :D

Have also done the mindlessly stupid thing of stepping on the end of a rake and being clobbered by the handle. :eek:

Other than that, it's just the usual thorns and sprains and strains like you, Dendro.

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Last year while on our allotment,I was pushing a small bean cane into the ground to support a gladioli plant.As I was pushing in the cane it snapped under my weight because it was quite an old cane and I fell towards it.I managed to put out my hand to stop my fall,but the cane went through my jumper and teeshirt and jabbed my skin.It left a bruise where It had hit me.It shook me up though because if it had been in a slightly different position and I hadn't been able to break my fall I think it would have gone into my heart.
    It really shook me up to think how easily it is to have an accident in gardening,and what was worse I had no phone on me and I was the only one down there at the time so I would have been a gonner...

9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LoL - glad somebody else has done the rake thing! [​IMG] :D

Kandy-sounds like quite a close shave you had :eek: I haven't been caned since school! :D :D

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    A lucky near-miss for you, Kandy! :eek: Yes, I forgot about the canes ... have had the odd one or two poke me in the face so now put corks on top of them!

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    It really makes you think when something like that happens,I had forgotten how the canes deteriorate over the years.We replaced the 8ft ones that the runners grow up but had forgotten about the short ones.A lesson learned..

We also have to put wire netting round the vegetables to keep out the lovely little bunnies that would like to help us eat our vegetables and I am always misjudging where to step over them when I am carrying watering cans,times I nearly go splat...

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Mrs Pal reckons I am an accident waiting to happen..! [​IMG]
    At the age of 10 I was angry at having to dig the veg patch over and threw the fork into the ground..and MISSED....The doctor had a heck of a job pulling it out of my foot and boy,did I get a telling off for ruining my wellingtons! :D
    And it's been down hill ever since....
    I have knocked myself out walking into the shed window..Cut off a complete finger nail pruning roses...Slashed open my forearm on the compost frame...Ripped off a toe nail laying slabs...Fell off the shed roof and cracked a rib...Stuck a knife through my hand trying to open a tin of fence stain...and just yesterday,I walked into the gate and grazed my elbow and knee. :rolleyes:
    Anyway..Must dash,I'm off to replace a broken pane in the greenhouse............. :D

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    SNAP - Pal!

I did exact same thing with a very sharp fork a couple of years ago! I looked down at my foot and wend hysterical when I saw the fork through my wellie ( oh I just can't do blood and guts stuff!)

Anyway I got my welly off to find that the fork had gone in the gap between my big toe and next toe and I did not even have a scrathc on me - well of course my wellies were like yours ruined.

14. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nick you are walking disaster,bet the insurance bods hide when they see you coming :D :D :D most accidents seem to happen to my beloved,last one apart from going through the gazebo with her new self propelled mower was ending up in our stream Ann and mower together,of course i panicked after all it was a new mower,got the mower out only to hear a big HEY and there was ANN standing in the stream with bits of weed hanging from her spluttering like some demented goldfish,never new women could swear so much :eek: :eek:

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I did the thing with the cane as well - was pushing one into the ground with great force when it just sort of fell apart and one piece slipped up my hand and made a deep laceration about 2" long and quite deep. Should have had it stitched really but being a nurse, I'm somewhat allergic to needles and stuff so adopted a bit of 'physician heal thyself'! Made some steristrips and closed it myself. Worked too.

However, the most embarrassing and painful event was when I was attacked by my Sperengeri! I was dusting the windowledge behind it and leaned into the plant. Now apart from being huge, it has tiny leaves like the needles on a Christmas tree and one of them stabbed me in the eye. It got me dead centre of the pupil and caused a very nasty corneal abrasion.

I went to the eye infirmary and had to admit that I'd been attacked by a pot plant!! However, the next day was far from amusing - I was rolling around in agony and was very grateful for the pain relieving drops they'd given me.