bizarre looking butternut squash

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Axie-Ali, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    On my little lottie I have 2 butternut squash plants, they are doing really well and huge.
    The first fruit appeared about 2 weeks ago and has since grown at a phenomenal rate...it is long and pale green with darker stripes (not your typical butternut colour or shape!), it looks very much like a pale marrow and is about a foot long (no lie!), the plants are now producing other fruit that have the more typical butternut shape but are still stripey green.
    Is this normal? if so, will they turn yellow when ripe? (I'm expecting that to be Sept-Nov).
    Thanks

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    They'll retain the stripes Alison. We bought a packet of squash seeds a couple of years ago and they produced all manner of shapes and stripes as well as some plants of the 'normal' variety. I now ensure that the seeds I buy are the true butternut type. Though the fancy looking ones are just as tasty.

3. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Dave, the seeds are cheapy wilko ones, but the picture on the packet look like 'standard' butternut squashes...how do you tell which seeds are true butternut type :)

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    They all look the same to me and I doubt if anyone could tell the difference ,

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    There are some varieties of butternut squash that start off striped and progress eventually to the normal buff colour. Pick them when you think they are the size you want or the plant looks as though it is starting to die. Then keep them in a dry place and they will gradually change colour.

This lot we kept in the sun, under cover for two weeks then left them on the worktop in the kitchen. They all turned butternut squash colour and lasted for months. The largest one weighed 9lb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Shiney, that first one looks just like mine (in colour), I shall pick the largest and do as you say, I shall try to get some piccys of it on here later!

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Alison, try and keep at least two inches of stem on the squash. It helps it to avoid rotting. :thumb:

8. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ooops, I cut them before reading your last post, oh well, hopefully they'll be ok.
    Here's a piccy of the 2 I picked, as you can see one is the standard shape and the other looks more like a marrow!
    Will they be ok if I leave them in the greenhouse to ripen?

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    If your greenhouse is not humid and you managed not to get water on them then it would be OK. I'd be more inclined to put them out on some paving, if you have it, during the day and bring them in at night or if it is wet. That way they will get the sun when it is around and also keep dry.

10. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  11. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've sometimes had the green stripey ones too Alison that didn't ripen to buff, but they tasted fine.
    I leave my squash on the plant to ripen and don't harvest them til first frost is expected. As said above cut them with a good 2 inch stalk on them. If they're well ripened and stored they keep for months. Butternut squash for the winter. YUM.

12. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I know, I love butternut squash, this is the first time I've tried growing them myself :)