Bizarre multi-coloured and patchy lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Dave K, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Dave K

Dave K Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I get things wrong at the start, but I wonder if anyone can help me.

My lawn has been in poor condition for a couple of years, but it's going further downhill rapidly.

I fed it with Evergreen 4 in 1 a few weeks ago and although it's pretty much weed free now, it's a mess.

A third of it is (mainly) lush green grass, while the rest is thin and yellow, with bare patches dotted around. I made a short video of it so you could see what i'm talking about.

What could be causing it to grow like that?

Thanks, Dave

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Welcome to GC Dave. :)

Did you use a granular or liquid feed? If granular feed is not put down evenly this could be the result. Did you lay the lawn yourself? I'm wondering if there may be something going on underneath the lawn, perhaps builders rubble in some places and not in others, or different types of grass seed used, this could make a difference as to how the lawn grows.

3. Dave K

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Sheal.

It was the granular feed I used, but I have a spreader and I'm confident it was fairly evenl over the lawn.

I had the lawn landscaped about 6 years ago. Previously it was a mess, an absolute jungle, so they more or less razed the area and laid new turf.

I suspected it may be something under the ground, but I don't know what to do about it. It would probably be very expensive to get the soil and lawn replaced

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    That dark green well defined area on the right was probably a border in the past, with deeper bettter soil. I'd try aerating the rest and keep up the feeding and watering regime. Have you got pets? Some of those yellow patches could be where they do their business?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dave K

Ratings:
      +0
      I don't have any pets, but I'm fairly sure that foxes use my garden as a nocturnal social club! I doubt there's much I can do to keep them out.

I'll take your advice about aerating the lawn though. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      John..... you could be right about that area being a bed in the past.

Dave.....I'd be inclined not to feed the green area for a while but feed the rest to see if it catches up. When was the last time you fed the lawn? It can be done again six weeks after the last feed but I wouldn't use the 4 in 1, just a straight forward feed.

• Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
      Ratings:
      +166
      That's all in the soil.
      The lush dark green area will be lovely and soft, the lighter area will be compacted.
      Try to push a stick in and see the difference. Almost certainly an old border on the right.
      The main area needs aerating to bring it back, although it will be sometime before they're the same!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,126
        Gotta agree with JWK and Kris, it does look like it is a compaction problem.. I would agree the lush area was once a probably border as well, so soil not as compacted.. :thumbsup: