Black bamboo ok?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DaveyB, May 11, 2024.

1. DaveyB

DaveyB Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Noticed our black bamboo is shedding it leaves and turning yellow is this normal?

It's in a sheltered position and has done well over the last 2 years I'm wondering if it's because I fed it some miracle grow??

IMG_20240511_142844.jpg IMG_20240511_142848.jpg

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,899
    Has yours flowered recently?

3. DaveyB

DaveyB Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    No it hasn't flowered

4. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,899
    I doubt it's the feed caused it, mine are always hungry!
    It hasn't dried out too much has it? I see it's in a pot and sometimes the roots replace the soil. I guessing now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +362
      It looks like it's thirsty. We have some and so does our neighbour and they go the same when we get a combination of drying winds and warm weather. Since I planted ours into massive planters (several hundred liters) we haven't had the problem but our neighbour has and theirs is in a much smaller container. Bamboos really do like moisture but I'd knock it out of the pot to see how much soil space there is left.

The good thing is they have always recovered and grown new foliage. Ours also haven't flowered or shown any signs of it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,859
        I agree with @flounder, and @Thevictorian, looks like dehydration. In that position it will be in a rain shadow and therefore reliant on you for regular watering. It may also need repotting into a larger pot using a soil based compost like John Innes No 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • DaveyB

DaveyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +13
          Thank you all I'm always worrying about overwatering it. I'll aim to water it a little everyday now

We put it in a pot as we were warned not to plant bamboo as it can be a nightmare to control.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,899
          In a pot I doubt you could overwater it. Easy way to control it..besides buying root barrier...is get a large plastic pot and cut the bottom off, plant boo in that, dig a big hole, plunge said pot in big hole. this will restrict growth and any showing outside this just chop off below soil level, but to be honest phyllostachys nigra isn't the most aggressive of the running bamboos

• Like Like x 2
          • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
            +362
            I'll just add that the "naughtiness" of any bamboo is climate dependent. If it has a moisture retentive soil and favourable climate then it may romp away but if the soil is dryer and the climate not so ideal then it won't spread as much.
            I agree P. nigra isn't normally invasive, at least in my area but I still have it planted in a massive planter. They are reasonably shallow rooted so you don't need a barrier that is very deep (normally 12-18 inches) if you do plant in the ground.

• DaveyB

DaveyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +13
            It seems to be doing well upped the watering and it's looking good for now.

• Like Like x 1