bLACK SOOTY DEPOSITS

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by b4cvm, Mar 17, 2007.

1. b4cvm

b4cvm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I HAVE MOVED A 4 YR OLD ELIAGNOUS ( WRONG SPELLING)VARIAGATED SHRUB LAST YEAR TO A SITE WHERE A VERY OLD MAHONIA DIED FROM HONEY FUNGUS, WHICH IS PREVALANT IN MY GARDEN. I HAD REMOVED THE SOIL FROM THIS SITE AND ROOTS,AND PLANTED THE SHRUB IN NEW SOIL IT HAS SEEMED OK. BUT SLOWLY THIS BLACK SOOTY DEPOSIT IS GOING ALL OVER THE LEAVES AND I DONT KNNOW WHAT IT IS - OR IF IT IS RELATED TO HONEY FUNGUS. CAN ANYONE HELP.PLEASE!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi B4cvm It could be Sooty mould ,If you look on the backs of the leaves ,there might be some objects that look like limpets(scale insects).But I can,t be sure. [​IMG]

3. b4cvm

Ratings:
    +0
    tHANKS, BUT WHAT DO I DO TO RID MYSELF OF IT?PLEASE..... THANKS

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Dont think the sooty mould can have any connection with the honey fungus, probably as WOO says, scale insect.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Spray with a general insectercide.
    A systemic one.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    A general insecticide if its sooty mold - but if the black does not rub off, then you could be looking at discolouration from the stress of the move.

7. b4cvm

Ratings:
    +0
    Please advise what insectercide I shlould look for, is it something which kills insects?I have seen something called Systhane fungus fighter - would this be the sort of thing? By the way It will rub off on ones fingers and there does not appear to be anthing on underside of leaves.So I am still unsure of what to do with it. thanksB4 CVM

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Although, we are assuming the black deposit is probably sooty mould, and created by a fungus, it does actually grow on the sticky deposit left by various insects, aphids, scale insect etc.
    So the idea is if you kill the insect the sooty mould will dissappear of it own accord.
    So you need something that kills insects on ornamental plants, Systhane is a fungicide so not really what you need in this case.
    I'm not very well up on whats available these days, not much really due to most of the effective ones being withdrawn, If you ask in your local garden centre, they should be able to reccomend something suitable.
    Alternativly read the label, and look for a systemic insectercide for ornamental plants.

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Bug Gun is good for me - as an insectacide - there are greener ones though. You need to check them out reading the labels. What your looking for is something that will kill aphids.

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It`s not an insecticide you need if it`s sooty mould. What you need is a fungicide. Sooty mould is caused by aphids depositing something called honeydew on the leaves. The sooty mould fungus then grows on this. Spray with a fungicide ( it doesn`t need to be systemic), leave for a couple of days and then you can wash the black off, sooty mould is not normally fatal to a plant.David.

11. b4cvm

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you David -it makes more sense to me -I have sprayed with insecticide - without any result, it just felt that it needed a wash of something to me and this sounds the ticket. fingers crossed - although both having been applied, I'll never really know!! Carol

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    You can actually remove sooty mould with washing up liquid, but if you dont kill the insect creating the honey dew it will just reappear.
    Sotty mould in its self does not do the plant any real harm, its just unsightly.
    The insect causing the honey dew, however, does.

13. b4cvm

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! O.K. - Thanks.CVM

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Carol sooty mould will wash off with a solution of washing up liquid as Pete says or a 3% solution of bleach in water, rinse the shrub off when you have finished

15. b4cvm

Ratings:
    +0
    HI AGAIN - MORE PROBLEMS WITH THIS -I HAVE SPRAYED WITH BOTH SPRAYS AS SUGGESTED AND NOW A WHOLE LOAD OF LEAVES HAVE DROPPED OFF! ANY THOUGHTS OF WHAT CAN BE DONE BEFORE THE SHRUB BECOMES COMPLETELY DENUDED - PLEASE?? B4CVM