Black spot and other things wrong.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by landimad, Nov 14, 2012.

1. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Just a quick note to people on here,

I have got Black spot and other problems with my roses in the garden.:cry3:
    Trouble is I clean after using the cutters on each plant with Jeyes fluid, The area is cleaned up of all foliage and twigs, and yet the problems are still with me.
    One in particular is the one called Mum in a million, which is in a pot and had over 20 blooms on it last year. This year it had only 5 blooms and a lot of black spot.
    I used Rose Clear on it as I do most years and the same on the Climbers, Arthur Bell and Celebration. These have been left to their own devices as I have been poorly.
    Any advice on these and other rose tips would be of a great help to me please.
    I have tried to open up links in other threads about the problems and they seem to have not worked or have errors or just not been found.
    I hope that this is not a repeat thread as nearly always I seem to miss out on threads which have this problem.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've had bad black spot this year. I have cut all roses back by half (and climbers all down to about 2' - 3') and removed all the leaves from them, and used the leaf blower to remove all leaves from the soil around them.

Next year the Rose Clear program will be carried out with Teutonic precision :dbgrtmb:

3. Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,410
    I am a novice and hope woo and the others will be around soon. The weather seems to have increased the black spot of roses in my garden this year. I just bought this amazing book by Dr. D. G Hessayon
    • he says to spray with rose clear or multi rose liberally until it runs off the leaves not forgetting the underside mid may, mid june and early september adding treatments as they are required.
    • That south west england and south wales are the worst for blackspot.
    • and that it is encouraged by potash shortage and warm wet weather in summer
    anyway hope this helps i have two poorley roses at the moment so i know how u feel

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I know the weather has been against the Roses this year and keeping up with trying to contain black spot has been a task and a half....i haven't a clue if i'm doing the right thing or not but i'm mulching mad and every 6wks mulch with WRM from spring onwards ....once all the leaves have dropped in the Autumn and out of the way i give them another mulch with leaf mould....it may just be a coincidence but this year i noticed the odd rose i missed were ravaged with black spot but the others faired well:dbgrtmb: i only used Rose clear on the affected plants (none mulched) but still i couldn't keep it at bay.....

• Like Like x 5
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,650
        Good evening all ,its been a bad year for Black spot with the mild wet weather,these are not solutions only suggestions:)
        1.BLACKSPOT
        (Diplocarpon rosae)
        Large black or dark purple spots on the surface of the leaves or stems are the main signs of black spot. As the problem gets worse the foliage gradually turns yellow and drops prematurely, weakening the plant
        [​IMG]
        CAUSES

Rose black spot is specific to roses and all types are susceptible.The disease causes dark spots or irregular brown or black blotches on both leaf surfaces. Leaves then turn yellow and drop prematurely, resulting in weakened plants.The disease is worse in warm, wet weather.The black spot fungus produces spores which are released under wet conditions and usually spread by rain-splash.The disease can also be passed from plant to plant on hands, clothing or tools.Spores overwinter mostly on the shoots, but can survive on fallen leaves and within the soil.Recently, rose black spot has become more common in town and city gardens due to less sulphur dioxide within atmospheric pollution.

TREATMENT
        CHEMICAL
        Products containing the following chemical ingredients are all effective on rose black spot:
        Penconazole
        Bifenthrin
        Myclobutanil - alternating any of these with the protectant Mancozeb to prevent the fungus developing resistance to
        fungicides.
        Organic
        SULPHER
        Usually sold as flowers of Sulpher or Yellow Sulpher and can be obtained as a spray
        Bordeaux mixture
        This was discovered in 1845, but not used as a fungicide until 1885 when it was found to control downy mildew
        Burgundy mixture
        Substantially the same as Bordeaux mixture, but the lime is replaced by washing soda. It can be used as a prevention against mildew on roses
        ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS
        One organic treatment for black spot can be found right in your refrigerator. Mix ordinary fat-free milk with water in a 1:1 ratio and apply it using a spray bottle. Spray the solution directly onto the clean leaves of your roses. The milk-and-water solution coats the leaves and leads to the growth of an invisible--and harmless--fungus. That benign fungus will prevent the formation of damaging black spot fungus.

Please Always Wash and clean your Pruning ToolsFrom Rose to rose to prevent Transferring Disease

After having removed the diseased parts from your rose bushes it is necessary to apply a preventative formula to minimize further attack. Using fungicidal soap or sulphur several times over the course of summer is one solution (especially after rain as these products tend to wash off). There are a few home remedies that have met with some success and are worth trying, especially for those that really do prefer organic garden methods. One is a solution made with baking soda: dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in a quart of water, add a few drops of liquid soap to the mix to help it cling better to the foliage, spray infected plants thoroughly. Another unusual remedy for fighting fungal diseases is manure tea. This formulation fights blackspot, as well as mildew and rust, while providing foliar nuttrition. Place one gallon of well-composted manure in a 5-gallon bucket and fill with water. Stir the mixture well and let sit in a warm place for three days. Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or mesh and use the resulting tea to spray disease affected plants (the solids left behind can be applied around the base of the plants as added fertilizer).

• Like Like x 5
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Prevention is better than cure so I spray mine with Rose Clear every couple of weeks when they are in leaf. I do it in the the evening when the bees aren't active and avoid the blooms :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Do you think i've been lucky Woo...i don't want to drop my guard:paladin:

• Like Like x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              My aim is for easy to remember dates, so I go for 1st & 15th of the month and I aim to do it a day or two either side of the target date (rather than trying to remember "is it 14 days yet since I last did it?")

• Like Like x 1
              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +91,650
                Hi Loli its nothing to do with luck its all down to your knowledge ,care and attention that you give your Roses my friend:)

Personally I haven't used anything as I try to grow my roses without spraying any chemicals on them:)

Its been one of the worst years for Black spot ever and many rose help lines have been inundated this year asking for advice on this disease,in fact the calls have risen by 75% accord to my friends in the Rose world:)

I have heard good reports on this:)
                Multirose Concentrate 2 containing deltamethrin and tebuconazole.

• Like Like x 5
                • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                  Ratings:
                  +31,826
                  Woo, we have a pair of identical climbing roses that span the back of the house on either side. I cannot get up there to spray them and I looked as them this afternoon conincidentally. They seemed to be looking down at me, rather sad and a wee bit poorly. I am worried about them, they have not enjoyed this year,
                  Jenny

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +91,650
                  Hi Jenny what age are they my friend perhaps they could do with pruning and a tidy up,the time for pruning a climber is after they have finished flowering:)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                    Ratings:
                    +31,826
                  • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,087
                    I don't like using chemicals either WOO if it can be avoided, so might try one of the suggested organic recipes next year :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +91,650
                      This is from the Barnesdale Gardening News letter(sent by email):)

Rose Blackspot
                      This is a terrible disease that can vary year on year in its severity and because of all the dampness this year we are seeing quite a bit already. Being organic we generally rely mostly on hygiene to keep diseases at bay and roses are no different. We collect all the fallen leaves each autumn to prevent the blackspot spores from overwintering and being ready to re-infect the roses the following year. However, even doing this job each year does not guarantee that this disease will still not strike. If it does, then a good organic way of keeping it from spreading is to use skimmed milk! Dilute equal parts of the skimmed milk with water and spray it directly onto the leaves of the roses. The solution will coat the leaves and prevent the blackspot spores from attaching themselves to the leaves, therefore preventing further spread of the disease. The method will not cure the leaves of blackspot but it will halt its progress. It is important to use skimmed milk as the higher level of fat in other types of milk actually reduce the effectiveness of the spray. If it rains heavily then the solution will need to be reapplied, otherwise spray every 10-14 days:)

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF BLACK SPOT DISEASE

Blackspot disease spent the winter mostly in infected leaves that fell to the ground. Spring warmth and rain awakened the fungus to shoot spores up into the rosebush and infect young, unfolding leaves. Moisture was needed to get those spores moving, and then the leaves had to stay moist for a few hours before infection could set in. Another, lesser source of infection is infected areas wintering on young canes.
                      Once spores get up into the bush in spring, infection can continue through the summer as spores hopscotch from leaf to leaf. As with the initial infection from fallen leaves, spores are released and get footholds only when moisture is present for enough time:)
                      IT IS IMPERATIVE TO PICK UP ANY FALLEN CONTAMINATED LEAVES AND DISPOSE OF THEM:ideaIPB:

• Like Like x 6
                      • kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
                        +387
                        The weather this year created paradise for Blackspot. A spraying regime which would have been effective in other years would have failed miserably this year.
                        In prolonged spells of damp mild weather it is probably a good idea to always halve the normal intervals between spraying.

• Like Like x 4