Blackcapnopic!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by strongylodon, Dec 22, 2007.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Amongst the usual visitors this morning on the feeders, Blue Tits, Dunocks and Robin, was a male Black Cap. Unfortunately our cat was sitting under the shrub so it flew off almost immediately so no pic. :(
    It was the third one I have seen here in winter in the last 10 years or so but some do seem to come here (or stay) for the winter now instead of 'going south'.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Strongy Whats a Dunock Look like ,I know just how you felt when the Black Cap flew off ,I was sitting in a Public Hide at Cliff just going to get the best shot of some Goldfinches I was probably ever going to get when the Chap along from me,He,s mobile went off (Crazy Frog) away went 3 goldfinches. [​IMG]

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    That can be so annoying and thoughtless!!
    The Dunnock used to be known as the Hedge Sparrow but isn't related, it's only relative is a silimlar bird of the European Alps.
    Look at Lyn's photo of 'a little bird' page 2 of this months' comp, that's a Dunnock. [​IMG]

4. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    The dunnock is one of my favourite garden birds.
    The best way I could it would be, about the same size and shape as a robin and colours like those of a sparrow but with a darkish grey breast.

It likes to feed on the ground and has a lovely song which it sings from hedge and tree branches.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/d/dunnock/index.asp