1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackfly Infestation On Cherry Tree/Growing Parsley.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Goku, May 7, 2018.

1. Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'll keep it short. I have a Stella cherry tree. My neighbour bought a cherry tree and has decided to leave it. Their cherry tree is absolutely covered in blackfly. The last couple years my tree always gets infested. Last year I bought native ladybug larva, they ate almost everything up, breed and ate the rest then left. I've gone out again this year and I'm starting to get the infestation again. Their tree is covered once again, nothing new there. I've checked the tree over and there were predators on the tree. Spiders, some caterpillars and a few ladybugs. I assume the ladybugs are either coincidental or their off spring returned. I'm going to be buying a grease band for the base to stop the ants and some other bits and bobs. I personally don't like spraying pesticides or poisons onto anything I grow. I have read that apparently Parsley is good for attracting ladybugs and since it's relatively easy to grow it would be a good attraction for predators, though I knew this will be for next year. My question is, does Parsley actually attract predators? I want something that may be passive in helping me combat this issue I have every year. A side from that what do you think I can do to solve this issue?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Not sure Goku.....is the ground very dry there? Ants could be nesting there and farming those aphids. Watering the tree and mulching may help.
    Dont think parsley will make a difference there.....I do know it attracts carrot fly! :noidea:
    There are nematodes for ants. Blackfly usually infest the softer new growth so how about spraying with a soap mix?:)

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Wevhad a tree that suffered with it, as did my neighbours but I just let nature sort it out as I couldn’t really see it.. Anyway, next door chopped theirs down and we never had the problem again.. Not sure that really helps though.. After that soapy water..! ;):thumbsup:

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I have the same problem with Stella. I try to keep on top of it by having a birdfeeder hanging in the tree all year to attract the tits who while waiting their turn at the feeder eat a few aphids....that's the theory. Also I pick off any infested leaves or shoots as soon as I see signs of aphids like the curling leaves. My tree is relativly small and don't know what I'll do when it's too big to reach infested leaves.