Blank LCD screen on Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Larburnum, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Laptop screen went blank whilst I was having a bit of trouble installing a BT Voyager 1055 Usb Stick.
    Tried several restarts, sounds indicate computer going through start-up, but blank screen. Can anybody help. Toshiba Platina supplied by "Time". I am using a new BT router, but could not get through the installation process using supplied CDs. Can you help. Ron.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Ron, the fisrt thing I suggest you try, if you've not already done so, is to check that you've not switched your laptop over to the external vdu display. Most laptops have an option to use either the laptop's display or an external vdu.
    The only other thingt i can think of is to try connecting an external vdu and see if you can get a display on it.

3. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave I Connected a cable to the VGA on our Portable TV. The screen showed windows loading then immediately went blank again, We took the laptop to a computer repair shop this morning and was informed that a new part was needed and it involved soldering which would cost approx £120
    We have decided to go for a new notebook and have been searching the internet to find the best buy. We dont need anything to complicated or expensive as our main computer has all the facilities we need, .The laptop was used only by my wife for emails and searching the net. Thanks for your reply.

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Dave, had a look at the website, I like it. The comment about our generation inventing it, I would have said our father's generation (Alan Turing) put it together at Bletchley Park. Incidentally, this laptop is more powerful than "Colossus" was, and that took up a whole hut.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Glad you like the site if you go to the root directory there's much more though a bit out of date as I've done no updating for a few years!

(I'm well aware of Turing and Bletchley Park & Enigma etc as I've a great interest in radio.)

My first contact with logic circuitry was about 40+ years ago using arrays of single transistors and boolean algebra (if, not, and, nand... etc) to shunt railway waggons filled with coal.
    My radio-synchronised digital watch probably has as much computing power as Colossus had, but it doesn't run nearly as hot:D

You're correct regarding our fathers' generation, but if you want to go back even further Charles Babbage and (Lady) Ada Lovelace got computing cracked a good while ago.

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Dave,
    I had a problem with my laptop (Acer 64bit), I was going to give a demo at a clubroom after the Slide Show by another member. Connected the Epson S1 digital projector, Started the laptop then the projector ----- nothing. Gave up and went home. Next day I thought I would get to the bottom of the problem. I tried several times without success, then started the projector first followed by the laptop. The laptop found the projector and reset its screen settings to suit the projector, everything worked a treat, stills and video. The only thing was I had to reset the screen resolution afterwards to suit the laptop.

Another problem cracked.

7. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    All too complicated for me ,when nine goes wrong i have a lovely Nephew look at it.

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Five years ago I was short leeted for an interview for quite a 'big job'. I prepared a brilliant Powerpoint presentation that would knock the socks off the interviewing panel. Transferred it to memory stick, loaded it to a laptop at work and took it to the interview.
    There was however no way I could get the school laptop communicating with the projector:dh: And the really annoying thing was that if I'd taken the file on memory stick or CD I could have loaded it onto the laptop provided by the interviewing panel (they didn't say one would be available). All was not totally lost as I'd printed copies of the slides and notes to distribute.
    Bottom line.-
    I didn't get the job:doh:
    In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't as I decided to retire a year later and am now having a ball and redressing a neglected life/work balance:gnthb: