Blanket weed control

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Grib, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Grib

Grib Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have quite a lot of blanket weed in my pond and deal with it at the moment by scooping it out. I would like to stop it growing in the first place but would rather not use chemicals to control it because there are frogs and newts in the pond - I was wondering whether anyone has tried any of the electronic devices for controling blanket weed and whether they actually work?

2. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    It depends who you talk to as to if any "cure" for blanket weed works. Some will say it does, some will say it doesn't.

Most of the electronic devices rely on a magnetic field altering the ions of the water molecules. If it does work 100%, why does every house not have one fitted as standard? (They also claim to reduce lime scale)

Years ago there was a powerful magnet sold that could save you a lot of fuel if you put it on the fuel line of your car, you don't see those about either. (Same principal but it used a fixed magnet)

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well, depending on the size of your pond Grib, but if it is a small one I would make sure you have plenty of oxygenating plants.. Some of the very good native ones & very hardy are Water milfoil - Myriophyllum spicatum & Water violet - Hottonis palustris.. Then get some Barley Straw usually about 50gr to a square metre of pond surface.. This is not an instant fix but is totally natural.. You will still have the blanket weed until the plants get established but it won't take too long before you start to see a difference.. :D

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    There was something similar for Electricity meters - the Suppliers were not too keen on it and people kept ending up in court.:mute:

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Grib.

I found that the best way to tackle blanket weed is to use this...Amazon.co.uk: cloverleaf blanket weed

As far as I'm aware, it poses no threat to wildlife.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy.