blight advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mchumph, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes - with that strange feeling of inevitability - I found unmistakable blight on both spuds and toms this morning. Only one of gardeners delights so far affected, tumbling toms seem OK but I guess it's just a matter of time.
    I've sprayed with dithane on the toms but that's not really practical with the spuds - the plants are far too big. What is the best course of action? I have harvested some of the "edzell blue", which are in the ground, but the rest are in bags and I don't think any are ready yet. Should I cut back the foliage immediately or could I wait for the tubers to get a bit bigger?
    The tomatoes are really disappointing as I haven't had one ripen yet!
    Bah!

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'm pretty sure that JWK managed to "control" the blight on his Toms last year with chemicals. Have a search for posts containing "blight" and where the Author was "JWK"

P.S. Or just wait for him to make a grand "What Ho Chaps!" entrance here!

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Sad news again.. I sprayed my toms yesterday as a preventative.
    Its been raining here in the Vale for most of the day with a temperature check of only 15C this morning, so with luck its to cold for the blight.
    Nevertheless I am thinking of moving some of my pot toms into the consevatory for ripining and protection. I lost loads last year to the blight and I dont intend to this year.
    robert

4. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to spray my toms tomorrow, but with all this rain, will it just get washed off again?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
  6. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I didn't mean **in** the rain as such, but what of subsequently?

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Probably important that it doesn't rain for N hours after spraying. but I'm not sure how long "N" is.

N = 6 hours for Roundup / Glyphosate, but that's the only one I remember offhand

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm not sure how long it needs to become rain proof, the chemical 'sets' on the leaves making a whitish film, I would think one dry day is all you need. But remember you have to keep spraying at fortnighly or whatever interval the packet says. Its best to spray the undersides of the leaves as well to be really effective at controlling blight, thats the area the blight spores find there way into the plant.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "spray the undersides of the leaves"

I always find that hard to do. I have tried carrying a bamboo to push the plants this-way-and-that to try to get spray under them, but I don't think I do a good job.

Anyone got any tips?

10. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not really, but I suspect the more industrial the sprayer, the easier to get a good coverage.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    No tips from me either, I'm sure you have a decent sprayer Kristen with a lance, not a hand help jobby. I just try and work around them all methodically, but some leaves are so close together I'm sure I miss quite a few.

12. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've chopped off all the foliage from my edzell blue (in the ground), and hopefully that'll stop the spread to the tubers while I munch my way through them.
    Oddly, when I checked the spuds in bags, I not only found no tubers at all (just by sticking my hand in and rooting around a bit [no pun intended]), but that the compost was pretty much dust dry. I've been watering with a hose every day (pretty much) but I think the compost must have formed crusts which stopped the water penetrating. Very disappointing. I've stuck the end of the hose in and gave them all a good soaking but probably too late now...

I've been pretty brutal with the toms - removing all leaves with any signs of discolouration, and given them a good dousing with dithane (again, after the rain last night washed them off). Yep, I tried to get the undersides of the leaves but the only way to be certain is to mix up a tank of dithane and dunking the things into it. A technique I am considering...
    Fingers crossed.

13. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    email this afternoon from the blightwatch people warning me of blight in the area.

http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/content/bw-Home.asp

I was already getting a bit worried so I had cut the tops of my potatoes earlier in the morning.

What should I do about my toms that are all in the greenhouse, do I shut the windows or not?

14. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Has bean, you have to keep ventilating your greenhouse when its very sunny - otherwise close them as much as you dare. Its a balancing act as the humidity gets too high if you keep the vents closed all the time which encourages grey mould. Are you going to spray them with Dithane/Bordeaux Mixture as a precaution?