Blight on Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jul 18, 2008.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Just noticed this evening a few of my tomato leaves have blight, dark brown blotches, underneath the leaves there are visible white edges to the brown blotches. This is in my greenhouse.

I've never had blight before in the greenhouse. I cut off any leaves showing the slightest sign, and also trimmed off all the lower leaves below the first truss. I'm going to burn all the leaves tomorrow. I'm leaving the greenhouse door a bit ajar to get it well ventitlated (or maybe I should shut it to prevent any more blowing in :confused:)

Googling says to prevent it spreading use either:
    Mancozeb (Dithane) or
    Bordeaux mixture (copper oxychloride )

I dashed off to B&Q then Homebase but neither has anything like this.

My question is where to buy the stufff? I guess a larger Garden Centre, we are not very well served with them around Guildford, so if anyone can suggest a specific chain that would help e.g. Nottcutts or Squires (they are each about 10 miles away in opposite directions)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Phone em before you set off, maybe?

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yeah will do kristen:

Am I wasting my time trying to save the tomatoes do you think?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    No, I think you are right, from what I have read.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Where's your copy of Hessayon then, eh? :p

"Potato Blight (fruit)

Brown, shrunken area appears on fruit. The affected tomato is soon completely rotten. Infection may develop during storage

Treatment: None, destroy fruit

Prevention: Protect fruit by spraying against potato blight as soon as it appears on the leaves

Potato Blight (leaves)

Blight can be a devastating disease of outdoor tomatoes in wet weather. The first signs are brown areas on the edges of the leaves. The patches spread until the leaves are killed. Stems show blackened patches.

Treatment: None, once the disease has firmly taken hold.

Prevention: Spray with mancozeb as soon as plants have been stopped. Repeat every 2 weeks if the weather is damp."

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Thanks kristen: I went into panic mode straight away and turned to google, then I saw the Veg & Herb Expert on the desk right next to me!, it is much clearer than anything on the web.

It hasn't got into the fruit as far as I can see so I am hoping I have caught it in time.

I stripped all the infected leaves off last night, and this morning they look a sorry sight, some of the plants have just the top growth and a few leaves on the main stem.

Ah well, I guess its not going to be my year for tomatoes :(

I am now turning to my third batch! I took some side-shoot cuttings a few weeks ago just as an experiment to see how they reacted to my contaminated compost. I haven't put them into the contaminated compost yet, so just now I potted them up in good stuff - they are only about 12" high.

Strangely my neighbour has outdoor tomatoes right next to my fence, they are only a few yards away from my greenhouse. His toms show no sign of blight so I just don't know how I got it and it missed his. I wonder if it could have been in my dodgy compost? :eek:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've used copper on toms with blight in the past and it works.

But if you have it in the greenhouse, my guess would be that you need more ventilation, in an attempt to keep the leaves and stems dry.:)

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Next doors tomatoes might be the only home grown ones I get this year :(

Blimey I didn't go that extreme! I hope no-one follows his advice - sounds like bulls**t to me

Thanks for the info pete :thumb: yes I was thinking it needs to be better ventilated.

10. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Just one thing folks. I seem to remember looking into mancozeb, seems it`s one of the top 5 `hates` of the `green` brigade. Seems like Dithane is the preferred option, but, what do I know ! I`m still a beginner in many ways. Hope this helps. Cheers...freddy.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    freddy: I got Bordeaux Mixture which I think is OK with the green brigade.

I looked at Dithane; it contains mancozeb; so I think it may be the same thing. I haven't researched the 'greeness' of mancozeb, what do they say is the problem with it?

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm thinking now that I got blight from my watering system - I catch rainwater from a shed and use that in the greenhouse, that might explain why my neighbour with his outdoor toms has not got it (he uses tap water).

Took some photos of the toms after I pruned and sprayed them, remember I started these plants very late so I haven't yet had any fruit ripen :(

This was last night, the spray has had a good effect on the few brown spots I did not prune off, the brown spots are now dry and no longer showing the white mouldy outline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Good idea burying your pots in the ground <MakesNoteToSelf!>. Are they normal pots, or open at the bottom (like ring-culture pots)?

14. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    They are normal pots with large 1" sized holes in the bottom. I've never used pots before, this batch is in pots to stop the roots getting into the dodgy compost in the rest of the soil. I am hoping the roots will just go straight down (I scooped out all the soil underneath each pot and replaced it with the contents of growbags). Putting them lower down should also give a little bit more growing space.

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Putting them lower down should also give a little bit more growing space"

Yup, I had spotted that, plus a bit more stable: if I kick my pots :) I tend to break the little roots that have made it though the drainage holes.

I was going to cut the bottoms out of my 11" Tom pots next year, but that will make it a pain to move them once potted on. Maybe I'll just enlarge the holes so that roots can get out easily if they want to.