Blighted tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Synthhead, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Looks like this got many of us for at least the 2nd year running.......

I did try armillatox, applied earlier this year as per instructions on the bottle, but no joy. Oddly enough, one treated area 8" away from the blighted area has a solitary unaffected plant - still producing half-decent gardener's delight cherry toms.

How localised is the blight in the soil? Is it particularly mobile? (It looks like potato blight from the pics in the Vegetable and Herb Expert book)

Also is there anything else apart from armillatox that might be more effective (including maybe *more* doses of armillatox? )

That area has been dug over, and awaits some compost, so there's nothing useful at all in there right now....

Any ideas welcome :)

cheers,
    (Tomless) Dave

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Last couple of years I've sprayed with copper two or three times, dont really like doing it, but it works.

The other good way of defeating blight is dry weather, something we dont seem to get much of at the moment:D

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I used Bordeaux Mixture as soon as I spotted blight and it has kept it at bay, I've sprayed about three times now this year. Also had lots of ventilation in the greenhouse and picked off any diseased looking leaves straight away. Blight is airborne, and spreads on the wind, but it can also overwinter in the ground, so best to make sure you use new soil/compost. Tomato Blight is the same as Potato Blight so don't use the infected soil for pots next year, and make sure any destroy volunteer pots as soon as they appear.

4. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

I didn't know blight was airborne - given the prevailing wind in the garden, this makes some sense....
    I'll try the preparations you suggested :)

cheers,
    Dave

I tried ordering some dry weather, but got the following response.

Dear customer.

Thank you for your interest in DryWeather(TM). This product is currently out of stock and is back ordered until 2009. There may be occasional deliveries before then, and in this case we advise that you act promptly to take advantage of availability, which will be limited. The situation with the supplier is unclear at the moment, and we do not expect that to change. Please be advised that the above also applies to SunnySummer(TM)

Customer advice - neither of the two above products is normally available for use during bank holidays.

Please note that availability of TorrentialRain(TM) and our new best-seller "Cold-and-Wet" is unaffected by the above situation.

****SPECIAL OFFER**** customers subscribing to either of the above in-stock items will receive free SlugInfestation(TM) with every order!
    Nothing to do - it's automatic! Slugs will arrive promptly as soon as either item is installed!

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979