Blind Arthur Bell climber

Discussion in 'Roses' started by BB3, Sep 9, 2024.

1. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    I have a mature Arthur Bell climber. It was flowering well last year but the blooms were very high up the fence. I pruned it right back and it has grown vigorously this year ( several feet) but all of the stems are blind. I cut off the tips but this hasn't made any difference. it still gets longer and doesn't produce side shoots further back along The stem. The rose is trained horizontally along the fence. Plenty of light and certainly plenty of water this year!
    Should I leave it in the hope that it'll sort itself out or cut it right back again in the winter?

2. simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
    Ratings:
    +2,827
    I would wait until Spring time to see if something changes. Climbing roses grow differently, but if that is an early summer flowering rose, as the RHS page says, then I would expect new life in March. If it has nothing in March, I would make a decision. Unless, you want to give the winter rain advantage to a new plant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
      Ratings:
      +695
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
        Ratings:
        +1,543