1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blinding

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Poly Hive, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +72
    We are creating our veg garden and it has 5 raised beds around which we have three foot paths.

We have a bit of a vertical challange from the access so have a 20ft ramp coming next week.

We intend making the paths which are presently earth as follows.

Several layers of plastic bags/dumpy bags/ garden fabric/ not all in the one place but we have some rubbish to get rid or, and a 4" layer of 2" blinding. Now our question is if you have been this route, so no guessing please, would you use a compactor tool in hind sight?

Many thanks

PH

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,541
    Sorry Poly Hive but I wouldn't think of burying anything non-perishable in a garden! Why do you want to do this when you already have soil paths? Pictures would help if possible please.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +72
      Because using this material to make the paths is advantageous. The paths as they are are messy, dirty and difficult to use in wet weather. The dumpy bags in particular will help with the wettest areas.

I didn't post for criticism I asked for information.

Anyone have this info please?

PH

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I haven't tried that idea.. Why not get some wood chip delivered from a local tree surgeon, they would look much nicer and always mud free.. ;)

• Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +72
      Well we thought of that but at £7 a bag we would need about 100 bags and the blinding is a third that price. Plus we have been told that the chippings need topping up every year and we are after a once only deal.

PH

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      I had my lawn taken up and replaced with mixture of gravel and slabs last autumn. This was done for me by garden landscapers but I can tell you that the sequence was:

Dig out turf, and down to an appropriate level

Instal edging (old London stock bricks)

Add layer of hardcore, level manually with a whacker.

Lay membrane to prevent weeds growing through

Instal slabs and gravel

It was hard work I could see but if as you say you want a one-off solution I think this is the kind of procedure to follow. The result is level, stable and drains well. The gravel (Staffordshire Pink) was ordered online in a bulk bag and was cheap as chips. A self-binding gravel would probably work better if you need to move wheel-barrows etc about on the paths.

My concern if you use an assortment of bags, membranes etc underneath to fill in would be that eventually they become unstable and everything starts to move about. I walked some paths in the Yorkshire Dales over the winter where just such a solution had been adopted and I can tell you that it was a disaster! Exposed and rucked up membrane all over the place, a real tripping hazard.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I've worked on quite a few projects where geotextile membranes have beem used, both for weed suppression and also to prevent migration of material into the subsoil, but do not recognise your use of the term 'blinding' in this context. Blinding is the term normally used to describe a fine layer of granular material covering the likes of a hardcore bed either to protect a layer of rpm laid on it, or restrict ingress of concrete laid over it.

What exactly is the material you intend to use?

If that's non-porous plastic, it could cause ponding/saturation which could cause the 'blinding' to heave up in freezing conditions.

EDIT: Compaction together with laying to falls/camber will assist in shedding rainwater. If the path runs down a slope, design it to shed water at intermediate locations, rather than have heavy rain run the length of it scouring material away.

• Agree Agree x 3
          Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          It wouldn't buy it by the bag I would get a tree surgeon to deliver.. If you are looking for a one off solution as you say, then you need to go down the path already suggested by Claire G.. Your idea of using old polythene sacks and blinding will be dangerous after a while due to you slipping as the polythene moves over time and the blinding washes out in the wet.. I would save up and spend out on a proper one off solution by a proper landscape gardener or good builder.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +72
            Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14 tons of blinding to shift. :)