bloomin' starlings

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by paul, May 19, 2005.

1. paul

paul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    how do my little green fingered goblins,i have started planting some bedding out as the greenhouse is getting a little overcrowded and the starlings are at them like nothing, i have put string around them to make them think them could be walking into a medevil contraption and it seems to work,however with such a large area to plant up soon things are going to start looking a bit ugly soon IE sweet pes netting/miles of string etc .Any of you got somr other ideas,we could all probably use.Happy gardening

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] canes stuck in the ground with upside down pop bottles rattling around in the wind. CDs dangling on strings on strings [​IMG]

3. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    See my answer to the Great Pigeon Debate...

4. paul

paul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for those guys will probably go for the cane ideas (bottles and plastic bags etc),will let you know how i get on

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,981
    Paul, what are the starlings doing to the plants. I've got loads of starlings round here, but they never bother any plants I put out.

6. paul

paul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi pete,the little devils are pulling all the new tender shoots off the main stems,they seem to be doing it to a hand full of the new emerging annuals aswell.And that is why i came on to thank the guys i placed come upturned bottles near the plants and an assault course of green canes and jute and nothing has been touched for the last 4 days,now hopfully the plants in this case upright lobelia/bleeding heart can get on with looking their best.thanks again pals.. paul