Blue grass

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by maryinbrum, Mar 14, 2009.

1. maryinbrum

maryinbrum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got somee Blue grass last year in little pots and have never heard of it before but l like the music :lollol: Anyway.........Has anyone ever seen it before ? Does it grow blue and also it was still in the little pots but i have just planted it out alongside a load of new plants. I have decided to do patches of Blue, patches of red with red hot pokers and have just done a huge herb garden phewwwww, i need a beer, been out there since 9am :thumb:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mary, I would assume what you have is Carex glauca, or one of it`s offspring, and yes, they are blue.:thumb:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Is Carex Glauca the same as Elijah Blue?

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Is that the same or different from blue fescue? (festuca)

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    :scratch: Shrugs shoulders! I have 2 blue grass, thought they were Elijah Blue...:)

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Claire, Aaron, either of you could be right. But without a pic, we`ll never know.:thumb:

7. maryinbrum

maryinbrum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I need a pic here please ?

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  9. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I wonder if it's Festuca glauca (blues Fescue grass. I had it in the shinglesea garden as it's drought tolerant and happy beside the seaside. Here's a picture of it.:gnthb:

View attachment 292

10. maryinbrum

maryinbrum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is yes Chris. I am amazed that It is still thriving considering that it has only been in a little tiny pot since last year. Stunning stuff !
    I have done it so that the whole area will be full of Blue and now i need to get some Blue Moon roses to put near to it all. Ihave some solar blue lights that will be just beautiful in Summer and aim to do the other side with red.

11. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It looks really nice might have to get some for my wildlife garden

12. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Your blue bed sounds lovely Mary. I made a blue bed a couple of years ago, outside our bedroom window but it's only been moderately sucessful for a couple of reasons.

The bed is narrow and the wall is coverd with a Vitis coignetiae (non-fruiting vine) which is really rampant, so the plants below tend to lean outwards. Plus, the cats quite like the soft soil. k-lSay no more!

However, the Eringium has done quite well, as have the grape hyacinths and the Aubretia. The Allium cristophii have disappeared and sadly, a wonderful Clematis Perle d'azur, just curled up it's toes and died. No idea why. :cnfs:

The one thing that really loves it there is a Cynarnara Cardunculus (Cardoon) I was given, which gets to about eight feet high with masses of wonderful mauve flower heads. It's even survived the winter with the leaves intact.

Although I call it the blue bed, it's now got yellow daffodils which will be followed by maroon/yellw tulips!:hehe: