BM's " Is it spring yet ? " Hideout...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    So was 2007's winter 'short and sharp', or is it going to linger on ?

I hope we have had the worst cause the jungle is all ready for 2008 and it doesn't seem to want to wait for March. Year before last we had pink blossom on valentines day having started to open with the change in month, I think the same will be true this year.

So here are some but not all of the early risers.

Petasites (butterbur)

[​IMG]

Tree Peony

[​IMG]

Ligularia

[​IMG]

Musa Basjoo, none of whom have lost any height trying petes 'leave 'em to it' overwintering method :D

Back in growth :eek:

[​IMG]

Camassia

[​IMG]

2. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Washintonia, throwing a new leaf having been badly burnt in December.

[​IMG]

Dry bed is all fine...

[​IMG]

Water Iris comming on...

[​IMG]

Boggy Day Lilies...

[​IMG]

New Fern... :D

[​IMG]

Helebore

[​IMG]

Chamerops new leaf opening...

[​IMG]

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Leaves are lining up on the trachy...

[​IMG]

Scabius...

[​IMG]

Washingtonia Splits that I made last year, no issues to report so far with over wintering...

[​IMG]

Baby Trachy Manipur all fine...

[​IMG]

Zantadeschia never really went away but back on the move...

[​IMG]

Tree Ferns as good as they were last year...

[​IMG]

4. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Eriobotrya japonica Chinese Loquat

[​IMG]

After 6 years the decking is going to get a fresh coat of ronseal. It has done really well as it gets wet from regular rain and watering and has quite a lot of kid use. You can see the walk way differs in colour from that between the planting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel I have achieved want I originally set out to do with the garden. This was to create a garden that goes ASBO mental in summer but remains constant into winter and spring when the heavy foliage isnt there. If only it were warmer now so I could get a bit closer than behind the patio in a rocking chair. :D

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking [​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oh BM sign's of spring, "yayhay" your gardens still looking great at this time of year, bet your relieved theyv'e survived, Phew, my garden, well the daffs have poked there heads through and some tulips,tut, too early. I can't wait to take the fleece off my tree fern to see whats happening, but i wont.. yet..As always pics of your garden has brightened my day.. [​IMG] Dee.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Thanks for posting BM.. [​IMG] [​IMG] Your garden is wonderful mate,so different from my type of planting and layout,but I would love an hour or two in there pottering around.. [​IMG]

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My next door but three was mowing his lawn this afternoon. My laurel hedge needs trimming. But I'm still not planting tomatoes or chillies yet.

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hi, Babe, good to see you back. [​IMG]

Everything is looking wonderful and seems to have survived the bad weather. We'll certainly be enjoying your jungle in the summer.

Is that my little Aloe fili-whatsit in the dry bed? [​IMG] Did the Aptenia (the tiny creeping daisy which flowered for you) survive?

9. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Banana Man, could you tell me the name of that plant in the small pot (second picture in the second post) which has got white dots, please?

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    It looks good BM, but then it always does. :D

Seriously, its good that things look so good after that bad cold spell, in early December, was it?

Not wanting to be pessimistic, but I cant believe we are out of the woods just yet, Feb can be a killer sometimes.
    But it would be nice if it could carry on like this week has been for the next 6 weeks and then the summer can start. :D

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Pete are your bananas looking ok ? I was prepared to lose footage, but it seems we have been ok. Feb/March is a worry TBH but lets hope its going to stay mild. Was impressed with the Washy's too, either they are becoming climatised or this year the pattern of cold/wet/light is different.

miraflores, its LoL's aloe she sent me, hasn't suffered at all in the December cold.

Babe the Aptenia is looking raggy but there is enough left to regrow if things continue as they have.

YDD, I stuck my fingers in and the tree ferns have lots of nice hard fond curls ready for March / April. The leaves are keeping them nice and warm. Even my cyathea has fond curls ready to go under the dead fronds and palm leaf.

Any time nick, plenty of seats to rest yourself mate :D

Sarraceniac I am looking forward to reshaping my laurel hedge this year. Its finally boxy enough to get some clean lines for the front garden. Its about 5 foot and you can't beat laurel for its glossy greeness :D I must write a note somewhere to remind me to do my tomatoes earlier this year. I left it too late last year [​IMG]

I know its mental but I noticed my gunnera is brewing a leaf too as I came home tonight.

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    :eek: Babe ... I've just gone back through your plants and noticed your (what I think is horrid) Loquat! Both t'other half and I find these disgusting fruit, but perhaps you won't get fruit just the leaves. There are two outside our gates and the fruit rot on the tree before you can even pick them ... they taste (I was forced to do so by the neighbours) like extra-sweet peaches or such like. :eek: Hopefully it will just be a lovely exotic tree for you. [​IMG]

The Aptenia here thrives through wet winters and grows ferociously. When it's planted in dry walls (which is the thing here) it dies back and comes back with a vengeance when watered ... even after years. [​IMG]

13. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    No need to worry the fruit if produced will be composted. :D It's in a pot now but it produces massive leaves which of course is my main motivation in life [​IMG]

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    BM looks really healthy. Even uphere I have noticed how things are starting to sprout. But I can't help but feeling, like Pete, that we aren't out of the woods yet.

15. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    The pics of your garden look fantastic, BM. It's getting a regular thing now when I log in to GC to have a look see if you've posted any more.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]