Bog gardens.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gazania, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi all, I still have a bit of a blank canvas of a garden at the moment. I guess spring will be a good time to really get started. But still nothing wrong with planning things.
    I'm thinking maybe I've got space for a small bog garden. Perhaps a small rock pool and small stream feeding a boggy area. I built an 8000 gallon koi pond in my last garden but this is going to just a scratch in comparison.
    So anyone had good/bad experiences with bog gardens ? Any tips ? What happens in freezing conditions ?
    e.t.c. ?

Harry

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Harry, when I built my pond, many moons ago, I incorporated a bog garden into it from a suggestion by the late great Geoff Hamilton. He suggested digging out the pond as normal, laying out a pond liner and then laying a "dry" brick wall in/on it enclosing part of the pond. The idea being to fill the space between the wall and bank with ordinary garden soil and then fill the pond with water. The bricked-in soil is fed by the pond water seeping through the wall and turning it into a bog garden. I did that over 20 years ago and it worked perfectly, having the additional advantage of extracting nutrients out of the water and helping to clear the pond water clear.

[​IMG]

You can see the "dry" brick wall to the right in the early spring.

[​IMG]

And that's the bog garden to your right, I don't think Geoff' Hamilton's suggestion was a bad one.:D

3. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi, thanks for the reply. That's looks really good. So do you have a way of keeping the water topped up ?
    I'm hoping to incorporate mine into a Japanese style garden.

Harry

4. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Harry, topping up the pond was a chore for years as it's over a 100' from the house and laying out a hose pipe to feed it was a "pain". But as I've got an outside tap on the wall of the house I realised that I could lay a hose pipe permanently from the house, run it along the back of the borders hidden down to the pond where it would again be hidden to feed the pond whenever needed just by turning on the tap. The pipe was in both pics but you couldn't see it. It's not everybody's answer to the problem but it works for me and takes the drag out of it :D

5. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Hi Gazania, I hope you don't literally mean to have a stream feeding a boggy area.
    Boggy areas have still water (if any) and any moving water will, overtime remove the soil.
    I personally don't like them, as they have to be "big" to work, otherwise you will be constantly topping up the water, and I do mean constantly.

Why not opt for a natural pond instead? More enjoyment, no pumps filters or UV required.

(Helps if I were to press the refresh button)

As you want a Japanese style garden they don't really favour bogs why not make your own "dear scarer" water feature, or make a pond as the Japanese do, just stones no water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Hi and thanks, yes a small natural pond and deer scarers have been considered. I also like water basin features. Making use of rocks and stones as in your pic have also been considered.
      I have had all types and sizes of ponds in the past. The best have had small waterfalls added so that might be an option.
      I guess I have no firm ideas in my head yet.

Harry

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I sometimes find not having a firm plan when doing a project is the best way to go, Harry:D:heehee: I might have the basic idea in my mind but I find that I end up reshaping the idea into the surrounding area and focal points i.e: the area drives the end result rather than the original idea.:coffee:

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Hi, I know what you mean about not having a firm plan. I think with the space I have the open aspect will determine which way I go. Open to the elements as much as anything. I'm gonna have to use different types of fencing to ensure I've got some windproof areas. I'm thinking different types of paving/paths and gravel too, to minimize the amount of grass !

Harry

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Hi Harry, I think what you'll find is that you'll start one thing and that will lead you to another, and another, and another.:D:heehee: You'll have to keep us up to date on how you get on with everything. I have a feeling that you're more than experienced enough not to need too much advice, but we're all here for you to bounce a few ideas off.:thumbsup::scratch::dunno::heehee: