Boggy Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by r2oo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, looking for some help with a very boggy lawn.

Last year I put in some french drains but this doesnt seem to have worked too well (not this winter anyway!) see pics. I also use a hollow tine aerator and fork the lawn regularly but to no avail...
    Based in South Wales and the soil is Clay.

Im looking at putting a shallow S shaped block paving path in leading from the patio to the decking around Easter time, so I was going to dig down 3ft and fill with 20mm gravel in a membrane to use as a kind of large garden soak away.

I was wondering if i will need to dig the whole lawn up around it and do the same but with 2ft of gravel then a foot of topsoil then turf on top to stop the boggyness in the winter.

any other ideas welcome.

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    Your idea may work, but not if the water table is high anyway. What I'd do is dig a small test hole and see if it fills with water. Doing a test hole over winter is a good time to see what happens. If you have a high water table then a soak away won't really help, you will need to drain it off to somewhere lower.