BONFIRE ASH USES

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by FANCY, Aug 28, 2006.

1. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Read this info. bonfire ash is good for sprinkling round RASPBERRY,BLACkcurrant,gooseberry and alliums.dont put heaps of it as ash is more alkaline than pure limestone. highly soluable and after a few rain showers it washes away. most importantly for those who want to get rid of their slugs. put ash round hostas, day lilies and cannas, the tiny particles in the ash KEEPS THE SLUGS AT BAY. :D :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    A chinmney sweep I knew of gave away his soot for local keen fruit and veg growers. :D

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    BM, IT MAY BE AN OLD WIVES TALE but by golly it works [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Our sweep sells the stuff!...Cheeky sod tried to sell my own soot back to me when he realised I was a gardener,so I asked him to sign a tax claim for the electric he used running his vac.I now have gas! ;)

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I used to put our coal ash on the garden occasionally for, as Fancy says, to keep the slugs at bay! :eek: Crushed eggshells supposedly works as well, but I didn't like doing that with cats pottering in the flowerbeds. [​IMG]

6. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And full of phosphorus too, which is often in short supply in the livestock free organic garden. Many pulverised fly ash sites are so alkaline that they are regarded as intractable waste problems; some have now been re-classified as Sites of Special Scientific Interest for the orchid populations and other rare flora they possess.

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    THATS a shame Paladin you could have marketed the soot.(paladin's miracle slug deterant) [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Whoops, should add I don't know about the P value of coal ash, it was wood ash I was referring to [​IMG]

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,444
    We use a lot of bonfire ash (wood) on our garden. I have been told that it particularly helps the growth of green leaves. Maybe that is why our triffids have done so well.
    --------------
    shiney

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi shiney I have a great amount of ash , all garden stuff, the woody kind.

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this pm I will be spreading ash on the veg patch before I put weed ground cover :D

12. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    We've been sprinkling our wood ash around the garden for years. In the winter when we often have a merry fire blazing away we have too much of the good stuff. Then we empty the ash bin into one of the compost heaps. We had a fire last evening as it was really chilly, so the first lot of ash this season is ready to go out.

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I 've not been using the bonfire ash before, always have binned it but now I will use it on the garden. as LofL said egg shells too.

I was wondering if ROYSTER WAS interested in bonfire ash seems so keen in organic gardening. :D :D

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,444
    You need to mix it in with the soil and it is best not to have more than a 2 inch layer of ash each year.
    -------------
    shiney

15. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tip shiney.because we have a very large garden, we burn woody rubish in a builders tin dust bin, it has a lid and has full of holes.cost us �£20 to buy but it was worth it.
    see you on the other threads.