Bonfire Ash

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Cothey, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Cothey

Cothey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening folks
    Wondered if anyone ou there know's if the ash from a bonfire is any use in composting?

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good evening Cothey and wecome to GC!
    You are lucky you can still have a bonfire!

Bonfire ash is high in potash so is good for a light top dressing for roses or soft fruit. Sprinkle it on the soil and fork it in.

Personally I prefer to keep compost ingredients such as loam, compost, leafmould, ash, and grit etc. separate untill needed. That way I can mix them up to suit individual requirements.

General bonfire ash also contains lime so don't use it for lime hating ericacious plants.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just chuck it on the heap Cothey!
    It's a good source of potassium plus other nutrients in small quantities though if you have an open heap much of the "goodness" will dissolve and leach out before you use the compost.
    Wood ash is very alkaline so you could use it as a lime substitute if required. It's also quite good for scattering around fruit trees in early spring.

P.S. I forgot to say welcome to Gardeners Corner [​IMG]

4. Cothey

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thank you for both the the replies and the welcome. I don't have soft fruit but do have roses & fruit trees so I can use some, but clearly, keeping it indefinately is not realy viable. thanks again.

5. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Cothey, and belated welcome.

Suggest you store it up if you have access to loads?

I wouldn'y use it when fresh, rather keep it to spread around roses, and edge of borders. Slugs hate the stuff.

6. Cothey

Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening oktarine
    Thanks for the Slug tip, If I want sieve it yes I Have quite a bit available.