Bonfires

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brilliard, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Brilliard

Brilliard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a bonfire to get rid of a mass old deadwood I have removed along with various other non compostable material from my garden.The bonfire was alight for about 30 mins and the smoke level kept to a minimum. No complaints and a good job out of the way in a very short time.As bonfires are generally not readily acceptable these days I wonder if I am in the minority or are there others out there who still love the occasionnal bonnie like me?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I love 'em. That is why none of my neighbours are talking to me. [​IMG]

3. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There are fireworks and bonfires here on Halloween and 1ith night,before the 12th July and I always want to have a bonfire at these tiems so it will just be fitting in - but there is always some reason why I am thwarted.I hope to make it this year

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You cannot beat a good blaze once in a while, as long as you are not smoking everybody out. Oh,and don`t do it if the wife`s got washing on the line. David.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    At our old house we had a bonfire every so often although I would check that the neighbours washing was in....if it was very late I would even go round and ask them to bring their washing in :D

We now live pretty close to a recycling plant so we go there instead of burning.

I have no problem with people having a fire or two as long as 'they' have one at a reasonable time of day i.e. not in the middle of a nice sunny day like when I have my washing out and that it isn't smelly!

Helen.xxx.

6. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    oh i love em. be going to one again this year treacle tof/ burnt spuds/stinking of fire oy yes roll on bonfire might even get a polish dummy to stick on top this year [​IMG]

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It's all right for you lapod. You get legitimate bonfire nights several times a year in N.I.

I replaced my fencing this summer and the old stuff is lying in the back (coming soon - my project).

Nearly Nov 5th. Heh heh. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally, set up your bonfire then on the day you are going to burn it take ten minutes to shift it a short distance. This means any critters (especially hedgehogs) have a chance to move out.

All you really have to do is gently fork it over and then burn with a clear conscience. Also, if you are burning "clean" materials you can use the ash on borders, in plant pots, compost heaps etc.

Hope this is of some help.

TO

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh silly me I thought we were talking about fires all year round!

Well if it's bonfire night I'm all for that, I keep the dogs in and kit myself in my warm winter gear and head out to the garden for a night of bangers and delights. :D
    Helen.xxx.

10. Vistabile

Vistabile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a bonfire in my best friend's back garden on Monday evening. Sadly his large garden has got out of control while he has been working hard to keep his business afloat. Last weekend we trimmed all his hedges, removed a couple of self-sown wild cherry saplings, pruned his four year old wisteria, a climbing rose, a rampant clematis montana, took ivy off the garage and house which had reached the top of the chimney and severely curtailed the brambles which have taken over the vegetable garden and invaded the flower borders. No way would the council bins cope with all that, and we were determined not to give the ivy and brambles a chance to invade anywhere else. Rain was forcast for Tuesday so Monday evening we had a controlled bonfire ..... so satisfying to see those garden nasties going up in smoke, and the air was so still it went up vertically.
    The garden looks much neater and inviting now.

11. Vistabile

Vistabile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a bonfire in my best friend's back garden on Monday evening. Sadly his large garden has got out of control while he has been working hard to keep his business afloat. Last weekend we trimmed all his hedges, removed a couple of self-sown wild cherry saplings, pruned his four year old wisteria, a climbing rose, a rampant clematis montana, took ivy off the garage and house which had reached the top of the chimney and severely curtailed the brambles which have taken over the vegetable garden and invaded the flower borders. No way would the council bins cope with all that, and we were determined not to give the ivy and brambles a chance to invade anywhere else. Rain was forcast for Tuesday so Monday evening we had a controlled bonfire ..... so satisfying to see those garden nasties going up in smoke, and the air was so still it went up vertically.
    The garden looks much neater and inviting now.

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    When having a bonfire it is best to make sure the stuff is well dried out. Then it goes up quickly and fiercely with very little smoke. I cannot understand those people who try to burn grass mowings or damp weed. When i had an allotment there was an old guy who used to come down to his son in laws allotment every week and all he did was to pile green weeds and grass in a pile and leave it smoking, then go home. It never burnt much cause as soon as he went up the track someone would throw water over it to put it out.
    I had one at my father in laws last week. Piled it up high with lots of very dry stuff at the base. It went up and was over in less than 5 minutes. I could not stand anywhere near it it was so hot.

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Working mainly in a rural area I burn tons of waste a year. Burns up quickly long as its had a couple of weeks of dry weather or at a push a cut up old pallet and some red derv!

Having said this I will not burn rubbuish in built up areas, farr too many people to upset.

If rubbish cannot be burnt it amazing the quantity that will go in a mini skip if its sliced up with the chainsaw and trodden down.