Book recommendations.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Anthony, May 19, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    All.

"The Book People" drop books into the office every couple of weeks that you can buy. I've just returned to work after having a week off (bummer!) and there's a copy of the RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening available for £14.

It's about 2 inches thick and looks pretty comprehensive. Can anyone recommend it?

I've already put my name down for a copy (it coming from the RHS and unlikely to be naff) but thought that there may be other books that people would recommend.

Ant.

2. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Call me mean, but I get lots of my gardening books from charity shops, you'd be quite surprised!! 02

3. craig

craig Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That book retails at £35 in waterstones so I think you're getting a good deal there. I haven't used it myself but like you said, coming from the RHS, it's unlikely to be rubbish.

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We had that offer through work/book people too Ant. If my book shelves could've stood it, I may have purchased, but I have already had to 'weed out' my books several times to accommodate what I have!

02 - shopping in charity shops is anything but mean - it is a win situation all round - the donator wins, the buyer wins and the charity wins! :)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    I always do what I'm told!

You're mean :D :D :D

Actually, I've got a season ticket to the charity shops :thumb:

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Ant I have that book as well.I got the library to order it in for me first so that I could study itbut thery wouldn't let their copy out of the Reference room because they had paid a lot of money for it.Anyway after reading it whenever I went to the library Mr Kandy bought me a copy from our local garden centre where they sell books cheaper than the shops.

I can't remember what he paid for it but it was less than the £30 odd quid that most book shops were selling it for.

The only problem I have with it is that it is quiet heavy so have to raed it at the table because it is too heavy to sit flicking through it on my lap.Just don't drop it on your toe because with it being so heavy I think you could do a nasty injury to yourself.:eek:

Hope you have many happy hours of reading:thumb:

8. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.

Thanks for the help and recommendations, in particular to Cookie for the link. I got some book deliveries today so my gardening library now looks like ...

Garden Plants and Flowers Through The Year. (RHS)
    What Plant Where. (Roy Lancaster)
    The Complete How To Be A Gardener. (Alan Titchmarsh)
    Grow Your Own Veg. (Carol Klein)

Plenty of bedtime reading. :D

Ant.