Books on Allotments

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Stingo, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Another question from a newbie!!

Do any of you refer to a book/books if so which one would you reccomend?

I've been going around in circles trying to decifer the best one to buy via the comments on Amazon...:help:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Dr D.G. Hessayon The Vegetable & Herb Expert is, I think, the best quick-reference book. The presentation style conveys an large amount of information in a very small space by virtue of the exceptionally elegant style he has evolved. If you only buy one book get this one!

Joy Larkcom Grow your own Vegetables is a more in-depth book - covering Digging / Composting / etc. as well as 160 pages of vegetable variety A-Z

John Harrison has a couple of books Vegetable Growing Month by Month is a nice thin volume, affordable, and his writing style is very engaging, and contains pretty much all you need to get you going. He also has a book titled "The Essential Allotment Guide". If you buy his books from his website you pay full price :( but get a signed copy, and some free seeds :) - which probably make up the difference compared to a discount-stores. http://www.allotment.org.uk/book/index.php

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kristen have to agree with you the Dr D.G. Hessayon's books are wonderful and a real steal at £7.99, they are wipe clean so pretty handy down on the plots where you are inclined to be a little mucky.

I have the veg & herb one and already put a wish list in to Dan for the fruit, green, and pests and weeds ones!

I would recommend them to anyone.Hel.xxx.

4. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to ask about books as well. I've already got the veg one mentioned - ASDA half price last year so a bargain at £4, it's been well used over the last 12 months with my little veg patch in the garden and my 3 year old can now name a lot of the veg growing due to the nice pictures. I've seen the John Harrison one in Ottakers (also price reduced) so I may have a trip out later into town to get that one.

5. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Let me know which one you choose!!

I have looked on Amazon and in Waterstones to the point of confusion!

I wanted to have a look at Joe Swifts new book but it wasn't in Waterstones although it has 3 favourable comments on Amazon.

As I'm new to allotments also I think I am going to clear the plot first, then plan in then plant it, otherwise it will be a very daunting task.

6. martandmichelle

martandmichelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For me Alan Titchmarsh's Kitchen Gardener has been my bible, a very clear directory of Fruit, Veg & Herbs and as a first year allotmenteer I find the working Calender a brilliant tool as I'm going to be learning for years what to sow and when.
    Martin

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    "Dr D.G. Hessayon The Vegetable & Herb Expert is, I think, the best quick-reference book. The presentation style conveys an large amount of information in a very small space by virtue of the exceptionally elegant style he has evolved. If you only buy one book get this one!"

I absolutely agree. For me, it's so easy to follow which is VERY important because 'I is fick' :D

8. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a copy of Practical Allotment Gardening by Caroline Foley, and its excellent and cheap from the "The Works" Bookshops. It's nicely illustrated and covers just about everything to do with running your own allotment.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The Complete Food Garden, by John Seymour, published by Fontana / Collins. Originally published by Faber & Faber under the title The Self-Sufficent Gardener.

10. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Old copies of Percy Thrower's books are a must for any gardener - in my opinion!

11. Luido

Luido Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking about buying a book and you've saved me the need to spend 5 hours scowering Amazon! Might just get the Vegetable and Herb Expert now...Thanks guys.

12. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    a friend who came to visit bought me the carol klein how to grow your own veg book

its brilliant

loopy

(she is a kind and lovely lady - my friend that is i dont know carol klein lol)

13. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I was given the 2 John Harrison books that Kristen mentioned and they are very good for me, a novice. It's been useful just looking through the sections which say what you should probably be doing preparation-wise, or planting, month-by-month. I've also got a River Cottage book on the Vegetable Plot, and that has been quite useful.

14. Luido

Luido Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Would you recommend the River Cottage book Liz? I'm a newbie too and looking for all the help I can get!

15. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hiya Luido,

I like the River Cottage book; it has the veg in alphabetical order, 1 or 2 pages each, including how to use them. There is a calendar of what to plant when and info on how to look after your plot. Plus it appeals to me aesthetically :wink:. But, if you were to buy one, the Hessayon does have a lot more info on 'troubleshooting'. The River Cottage is nice to pick up and flick through. I think I got a lot from it!