Bordeaux Mixture cures Botrytis (grey mould) on Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Sep 14, 2009.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    As this year has been a bad year for blight I've sprayed my tomatoes a couple of times with Bordeaux Mixture. This has kept blight at bay, but also cures/prevents the dreaded grey mould (Botrytis) which at this time of year usually becomes rampant in my greenhouse.

Some of my plants had started to develop grey mould a couple of weeks ago and my usual methods of control (decreasing watering, stripping off the lower leaves and increasing ventilation) had little effect. I sprayed them with Bordeaux Mixture a week ago and all signs of grey mould have gone :thumb:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Good tip. Did you spray your Cues at the same time? I don't seem to have trouble with mould on my Toms, but the Cues (and Courgettes tend to get it - although never enough that I worry about it unduly towards the end of the season - still getting far more blinking Cues that I know what to do with!)

My problem, this time of the year, is the white fly which have been under control (Marigolds and yellow-sticky-cards) until about last week of August. My husbandry tails off this time of the year, so Tomatoes are sprouting out of the vents, and no side shoots have been removed for quite a while ...

The leaves are fairly blackened - with the secretions from the white fly I presume? and the fruit has to be washed.

I've never thought it worth spraying Whitefly - well, not since I've managed to control it up until End August - as it takes numerous repeat sprayings to get rid of them.

Any thoughts welcome on that one (sorry John, I shouldn't be hijacking your thread)

P.S. Are the Whitefly surviving from year to year? or am I getting re-infested from elsewhere?

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Thanks for that John,. I also have sprayed my outside toms twice and as you know they are looking good and still producing tons. Looks like another session with the drier is called for tomorrow we have so many and the Armish are getting bigger by the day. A great year for toms after last years blight hit failure.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,968
    No I haven't sprayed my cucumbers with Bordeaux Mix. They are in a seperate greenhouse away from the toms and haven't suffered with grey mould yet.

I have been spraying all my beans, toms and cucumbers regularly with pure soap solution (once a week or more during July when it was bad) and that has stopped whitefly and blackfly. I use Stergene and mix half a cap full in my sprayer (dilution rate is not too important). It makes the greenhouse smell nice as well, which is a bonus!

I don't know where whitefly come from or if they overwinter. I disinfect my greenhouses with Jeyes fluid in the spring to try and kill off any nasty overwintering bugs.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,968
    :gnthb:

I guessed you had used Bordeaux Mixture Robert because of the white speckles on the fruit (on your photos on your Armish Paste thread). I have the same thing on my tomato fruit, lots of white speckles from the spray, which I reckon is non too healthy (Bordeaux mixture is based on copper) - I'm sure you do as me, give the fruit a really good wash and rinse to get rid of the deposits.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I have the same thing on my tomato fruit, lots of white speckle"

I'm getting that - from condensation dripping on the fruit at this time of the year I assume?

Dunno if yours is different, I'll take a picture when I trog up to the greenhouse a bit later.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,968
    The white speckles on my fruit are the residue from the Bordeaux Mixture, I'll try and get a picture later of what I mean.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Here are my spots - which I think are water spots from condensation falling on the fruit? (Ignoring the severe case of Flash-Burn!!)

[​IMG]

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,968
    I couldn't work out what that photo was to start with, for a few millisecs I thought it was sun spots :doh:

I'm not sure what they are Kristen, do they wash off?

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,060
  11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,968
  12. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Sure do John, and it takes some shifting from under the stalks on the big Armish ! The last spray was almost three weeks ago as well, so its got staying power.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "have a look here."

Pete you spoilsport, I was just about to open a road-side stall! But it says:

"This spotting may adversely affect market quality."

:D

I can't say I'm bothered, its the end of the season, the fruit are ripening well enough, and taste OK

... but I shouldn't have let my greenhouse hygiene slip ... "mens sana in corpore sano" or whatever drivel we were taught at school :( ...

... and I've found red spider in the other greenhouse tonight :( That I am annoyed about. I thought a couple of Fuchsias in there, that I didn't really care about, looked a bit brown at the tip, and assumed I'd neglected them racing in and out of the greenhouse firing water at them haphazardly from the watering can :( The silly thing is we had really bad red spider in the conservatory last Autumn, about this time, and I should have reacted better to the prolonged end-of-season warm dry spell we've had and anticipated it. Bother!

Last season I was adamant I would use a biological control, but by the time the week had passed before the good bugs arrived the Red Spider had taken such a hold that it had killed all the plants that had been effected :(

I've sprayed with some very old, and probably banned :( spray cans I had lying around with a view to doing a better job tomorrow in daylight with a more modern chemical.

The only edibles in there are my tiny, bow-your-head-off chillies, and I don't want to lose them.

What's going to best to spray the blighters with?

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I'm not sure what they are Kristen, do they wash off?"

Nope :(

"for a few millisecs I thought it was sun spots"

They do look a bit like that don't they?