Border plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brilliard, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Brilliard

Brilliard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our patio has a very nice planting area about 12ft wide and 6ft deep which is brick enclosed and rises about 2ft from front to back.For several years I have followed routine by having spring daffodils followed by summer bedding.It has always looked very nice.This spring I would like to try something a little different, perhaps a tulip scheme or even pansies or polyanthus. Any suggestions?

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Brilliard welcome to the forum!

Spring is always a wonderful time in the garden for me, it gives you a lift from all those damp cold winter mornings.

One idea for a lovely spring border is to line a row of daffodils and then plant some tulips in front of them and finally finish off with some grape hyacinth I did this last year and also planted a row of lavender amongst them (see pictures below)

[​IMG]

I got quite a few nice remakes about this display even a few from one neigbour that said when I first started digging the garden up that the previous owner wouldn't be too pleased with what I was doing to his grass!

[​IMG]

The only thing you have to take into account is the height of the daffodils and tulips as its no good planting small daffs and taller tulips as it would look silly so always make sure that the daffs are taller than your tulips.

Helen.xxx.

3. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    like you helen i love spring time
    i get quite excited when the little heads appear [​IMG]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kathy spring time is great isn't it...I only hope that the winter is as kind to us as last year!

Brilliard if you do decide to add some lavender like I did use a small slow growing one I had since found out that the one I used 'Munstead' is a quick grower not really what I wanted as it has indeed over grown the place where I planted it only last year!

Have a look at the below link from another page regarding the lavender.

Lavender

Helen.xxx.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    How about tulips planted in a mass of forget-me-nots. I keep my selfseeded forget-me-nots each year in pots, ready to move to wherever they are needed.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Peter that's a really traditional planting scheme it always works well and looks nice.

I'ave done it in the past with pink tulips and it did look amazing!

I think the trick is that whatever your planting is to keep to only a couple of colours, a for-get-me-not and red tulip scheme looks wonderful but tulips of many different colours just looks messy in my book but the two tones would look ok.

Helen.xxx.