Box Elder question (acer)

Discussion in 'Trees' started by peapod, Jun 2, 2007.

1. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me the best time to repot my acer..its looking rather floppy and unhappy :(

2. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you are speaking of the tree from the other thread. I think I would shorten up some of those branches and go ahead and repot it. The timing isn't going to matter much.

3. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks flower.. the repotting will go ahead..but why do I need to shorten the branches?

4. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You kind of answered your own question. Cultivating what can become a large tree in a pot like this requires a little bonsai type work ;) (training, actually). If you shorten up those branches it may fill in more and get a nicer branching structure. I took the liberty of downloading your photo from the other thread, I hope you don't mind. I put a black line in the general area of a light haircut and a gold line showing a more severe haircut. If it were my tree I would use the gold as a general guideline towards not making it so floppy and unhappy looking.

[​IMG]

5. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much! this is such a help flower..I never thought about pruning it That picture is perfect, I can see exactly where you are coming from now. Thanks again