1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Boys Toys

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Doghouse Riley, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm into vinyl jukeboxes, I've two. I have to keep them in our Japanese Tea-House I built at the bottom of our garden. My wife thinks with all my clutter in the front room, vintage audio stuff, an electric piano and my tenor sax, she said there's no room for them and I couldn't argue as she's right.
    However several years ago when the technology made it possible, (fellow jukebox enthusiasts on a dedicated message board alerted me), I was able to get my "nostalgia fix," indoors, combining cutting edge kit with old technology.

I've two jukebox wall boxes on a shelf in our front room. At the time no one really wanted them as they could really only be used as ornaments or telephone directories if you hadn't got a jukebox.

These would have previously been connected to 3cwt parent jukebox or what was called a "hideaway" a 3ft cube wooden box with all the equipment necessary for a jukebox, kept in a cellar or backroom of a bar. I had to make sure none of the wiring was visible, to keep my wife happy.

Since I put these in, second hand wall box prices have multiplied many times, now the technology is better known.

• Like Like x 3
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,321
      I still have a lot of old 45s but had to dump a load last year because they had warped or started to go mouldy. :sad: I don't have a juke box but just play them on a record deck.

In the 1950/60's I used to sell them, secondhand, on a market stall and sold the middles separately for 1d each. A lot of people didn't need the middles because they had a solid middle that they could drop onto the spindle.

I used to sell 78's as well. They don't warp or go mouldy. :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Hi Shiney, you're right about 45s. The imports usually had a removable middle attached only in three or four places, so you could push it out, so that it would fit a USA "fat" spindle. Later 45s produced in the UK had solid centres and you need a "dinker" to cut out the middle if your jukebox will only take records with large centre holes. They cured this problem by designing jukeboxes with an "inter-mix" facility so it would take either type.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1