Brassicas question

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rosiemongrel, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I tried to grow some calabrese and red cabbage this summer, they got horrifically eaten and demolished by nasty caterpillars. I thought I'd try to grow some winter cabbages so that my raised bed is not completely empty. I have ordered plug plants, which have now arrived. Are the butterflies which left me with the disgusting caterpillars in the summer now gone? Or should I buy enviromesh and protect the brassica plugs even in the autumn?

I don't want to lose all the plants to caterpillars again, but I don't want to spend money on enviromesh if you don't need it at this time of year either.

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Rosie. I'd say that the threat is now over, I haven't seen any for a while :) Cheers...freddy.

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Rosie

Cabbage white butterflies have ceased activities in this neck of the woods and I guess it'll be the same for you. But you'll still need to protect your seedlings from pigeons unless you are fortunate enough to live in a pigeon-free area, if such a place exists!

Down here, pigeons will demolish brassicas and legumes in the blink of an eye at any time of the year.

4. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Ah yes, the pigeons, forgot about those blighters. Another thing, don't forget the slugs, plenty of those around too.

5. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never seen a pigeon in my garden. Maybe the dogs scare them away? Will think about the slugs though. Thanks everyone!

6. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got a dozen or so cabbages growing at the end of the garden in our raised beds. Slugs decimated them at first until I sorted them out. Put the cabbages under netting to keep our cats off the slug pellets.

I took away the netting at the weekend (slugs have now gone so have no more need for pellets) and am now hoping that the cats keep away the birds!

Will see how they get on

7. lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I, too, suffered demolition of brassicas by caterpillars this year, so taking no chances. I have bought a veg cage with enviromesh, being convinced of its effectiveness by experts on this site. So far, so good! No pigeons, no caterpillars, no slugs. Is there anything else which could attack??

8. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi lindyco. Your only threat SHOULD be the slugs as they are already present in the soil. Cheers...freddy.

9. lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, freddy. Will keep on with the slug pellets. Neighbour's cat should be safe as the mesh is all-encompassing!

10. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yep. Mine got an attack from small snails.
    stony

11. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    I just this minute had a look at my Brussels sprouts. They are covered in small large white caterpillars, so the problem hasn't stopped, even after a couple of frosts:mad::mad:

stony