1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bread making

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by capney, Aug 22, 2008.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I make a fair bit of bread in the Capney house.
    I have a loaf and eight rolls in the oven right now and the smell is wonderful.
    Any other G.Cs bread makers out there to share a story or two?
    Robert

2. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I make my own bread but mostly from the mixes in supermarkets. It smells heavenly, my favourite is sunflower:thumb:

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Robert we have a Panasonic SD255 which we have had for a couple of months now.We debated for a couple of years about getting a breadmaker because lots of our friends had them which they used once or twice and then like everything else got bored with it once th novelty had worn off:rolleyes:

Finally decided to get one when the bead we eat went up to £1.19 a loaf:eek: We had a job getting one because as fast as the shops had them in they were flying off the shelves.Managed to get one in the end and have been well pleased with it,though Mr Kandy likes to do it all becaus it is a new toy to play with:rolleyes::D

We havn't done any bread to put in the oven as we are all electric and what with te prices going up on the fuel bills havn't gone down that road. Have had a few wholemeal loaves which I didn't like and a loaf with some pine nuts in,which left an after taste in my mouth:eek:

I think the taste of the bread from these machines takes a little bit of getting used to because we are all used to eating bread full of preservatives but we have grown to enjoy th loaves now we do mainly granary ones.:cool:

Here are a couple of photos of the Panny and one of the first loaves we ever made in it.....:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,529
    Yes, I make my own bread from scratch. I don't have a bread machine. I have tasted bread from bread machines to me it is not like hand kneading, something is amiss. Love the smell of fresh baking bread also, but more, the warm bread with the melting butter, yummy. And it is because of that, and how bread and melted butter gravitate to the hips that I reframe from making it too much.

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Bread cooking and freshly brewed coffee. Got to be among the best smells around.
    Do try some of your own mix sometime. I have just made a loaf and rolls, mainly white flour with summer seed flour, which is a Yorkshire flour and makes for a delightful bread.
    I do use a bread machine to mix the dough and then I take over from there.
    I also use the machine to cook the bread as well and most times I use a medium size mix and that quite often pushes at the lid of the machine during final raise and bake!
    If you like bread mixes check out Lakelands Australian Laucke Bread machine pre-mix variety pack: crusty white, wholemeal, fruit loaf base, fibre white, german grain, soy & linseed
    Not overly big but some interesting flavours and textures.
    Robert

6. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I treated myself to a bread maker a year or so ago.
    Makes lovely bread but I have to limit myself else I'll be the size of a bus.

Himself still prefers the mother's pride pappy stuff for his sandwiches for work. I wish I could convince him to use the homemade stuff. Cheaper and better.

7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Never use 100% wholemeal flour. always use more extra strong bread flour.
    At least 75 to 80% for any mix. Thats my advise.
    This is the usual recipe I use for a 1Kg mix that will make one loaf and eight rolls.
    350ml Water
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon of sugar.
    680g (4 and quarter cups flour) 4 white and big quarter of your chosen other flour !
    packet quick yeast
    I usually have to add more water to the mix and either let the machine cook it or make a variety of loves/rolls from the mix
    I use the longest cycle I have on the machine if I am using it just for dough, this is about 1.5 hrs.
    If I am using the machine to cook it I use the longest wholemeal cycle.
    Works a treat for me.
    Oh yes I have been baking for years and just love that first warm crust
    with my favorite spread.
    This is todays bake from the above recipe
    [​IMG]

8. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,529
    I'll be right over with the butter and good coffee.

9. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm they look gorgeus Capney, screaming out for a dollop of homemade blackberry jam.;):D 02

10. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Good coffee is something I really miss redstar.
    Many years ago I came back from the states with a large tin of Folgers. not the best quality some would say but I enjoyed every once of it.
    Still got the tin... full of screws and nails now..
    Robert

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    The perfect gup of coffee to go with the perfect bread?
    [​IMG]

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Your bread looks yummy Capney & I'll have a cup of that coffee too...:D I have made all my own bread for over 30yrs.. Used to do it the traditional way before breadmakers.. Ten soon realised it was allot easier with a Kenwood chef with a dough hook on.. Used to put it by the Rayburn to rise & then bake it off in there too.... Oh those were the days.. I can smell that bread baking now..!! I miss that old cooker... Still, looking at an Aga or maybe another Rayburn again now....:thumb::D Will have it in for next winter though.. :thumb: Buying it now & having it stored until the summer next year when I will have it installed... Yea..!! Can't wait..!!

:rolleyes: Anyway I now use a bread maker most of the time.. Sometimes just for mixing the dough for rolls or special breads & sometimes to bake the loaf complete... Great when you are busy..!:thumb::D

13. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Must admit I have often thought about the old Kenwood with the dough hook.
    My son uses one and his results are amazing.

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: I've still got mine.. I think it is better in a way... It is different to the breadmakers bread though you are right..!:thumb:Just the breadmaker makes it easier & less time consuming on the whole & life is busy these days..!;):thumb::D

15. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a very basic breadmaker that was bought for me by relatives one Christmas (it must be the only present from them that we have ever used:rolleyes:).

I make a loaf when I am making a casserole or soup and it all goes in one sitting:)