Bread pudding spin-offs (Ziggy, what have you started)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by clueless1, Oct 23, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening all.

A while ago now, somewhere mid thread, our legendary Ziggy let slip how he makes bread pudding.

Well I nicked the idea, and have made numerous ones and am so impressed by the versatility of stale bread I've tried lots of variations on the bread pudding, some with considerable success.

But today, in a break from the sweet pudding, I decided to have a go at a savoury one. I was aiming for a sort of meat loaf, bread pudding cross, but I wanted it to be a very cheap meal, nutritious, wholsome and full of flavour. I'm pleased to announce I achieved that.

So just to clarify, what exactly did I achieve? well, I made a bread pudding/meat loaf cross that ticked all the boxes, and cost literally about 50p, to provide the bulk of the sunday dinner for two adults (the wife and I, and the lad).

I took about a handful of minced beef. Enough to make one large burger.
    Half an onion.
    Half a yellow pepper
    Half a stick of celery
    A load of old bread that many people would have written off as ready for the bin
    Various flavourings
    A bit of nasturtium from the garden
    A turnip top from the garden.

I lightly fried the mince with the finely chopped onion.
    Chucked the finely chopped celery and pepper in for the last minute of frying
    Mixed a couple of oxo cubes in the mince
    Left the mince to cool.

I then bust up the stale bread into a large mixing bowl. I think I had about 8 slices in all.
    Poured the now cooled mince mixture, including the fat that came off it as fried, into the mixing bowl with the bust up stale bread. A little squirt of tomato puree, same of garlic puree, the finely chopped leaves from the garden (turnip and nasturtium), and finely chopped Rosemary from the garden. A shake of dried oregano and a shake of ginger powder also went into the mix.

I then squished it all together, adding a tiny drop of water because it was a bit too dry. Whacked the stiff mix into a deep roasting pot, and whacked it in the oven for about 40 minutes on gas 6.

I was reluctant to try it, in case it was a disaster, but I did, and it was delicious. So much so in fact that the wife went back for second helpings twice:)

So there you have it, a cheap alternative to the sunday roast. Simple, delicious, and wholesome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      :goodpost: Well, 10 out of 10 for experimenting there Dave:dbgrtmb:

I'll now have to develop a vegetarian savory version too:thumbsup:

Thats a damn good base to launch from:yess:

• Like Like x 1
      • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        I adore you both, but mouldy bread and celery?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Now I didn't mention Celery:D

Not moldy bread, just past its best, think how much bread is thrown away every day because its a bit stale.

When you row your way down The River Parrett, i'll lob you some Bread Pudding:thumbsup:

I used to buy a slice from the canteen in the sports centre after swimming, now they have demolished the sports centre & put up a multiscreen cinema, only get popcorn there now.

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Ziggy! If Clueless turns into a Freegan, ferreting about in the bins behind Tesco, I'll know who to blame!

:D

• Like Like x 3
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          :D I ferret about in the fields behind Tesco, better than whats in the bins:dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          So you ferret around, you don't freegan around, Ziggy??

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Our local Soup Markets are like the Soylent Green factories when it comes to security

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            A good film, Ziggy, although bread was not in the recipe they were using in the factory to feed the masses.:rolleyespink::heehee::D:WINK1:

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
            +437
            This thread has taken another sinister turn!

Have we perchance stumbled across the secret of Zigs' most excellent bread pudding?

And here I was demurring over celery!

(Oh and we need to do a film thread!)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Royston Vasey has got nothing on my special bread pudding:heehee:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Ziggy, you should have a go at a veggy one. If you come up with anything good, which I'm sure you will, let us know. While we are all omnivores in our house, I am keen to reduce our meat consumption.

Melinda, mouldy bread goes in the bin. That's if it stays in the cupboard long enough to go mouldy, which is rare. I'm talking about the last few slices of bread that go a to stale to make a nice sarnie.

Anyway, here's an update. I'm in two minds about the outcome of the experiment now. The wife enjoyed it so much that I've had to make another batch for tomorrow's tea. It is nice, but I reckon I could get sick of it if its for tea too often:heehee:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I will Dave, but like you, the bread doesn't last long in the house with the kids and their friends coming round.

A fish version is on the cards too, lets beat Huge Furry Whittingstall to it:heehee: