Bridge Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, May 14, 2007.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Can anyone give me some Information On The Difference between A bridge camera and a DSLR
    Camera Plus The Pros and cons If there are any,Many thanks [​IMG]

2. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bridge cameras are usually smaller than DSLR's but bigger than compact cameras. The main difference usually is that you can't change the lens. Many manufacturers are no longer making them - people like Canon, for example, who dropped their range this year. Most are produced by companies that are relatively new to making cameras, like Sony, who don't make "camera systems" with a choice of lenses and accessories.

Personally, I'd go for a DSLR - even a good secondhand one like a Fuji S1 - rather than a type of camera which seems to be rapidly becoming obsolete. Unless you want to do special things, though, even a digital compact can be good. All the pix I've posted on GC have been taken on my 2.0 megapixel Canon A40!! (Even the close-ups!)

3. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi WOO - I have a Fuji s9600 which I think is a bridge camera. I dont have much experience with cameras but I think the difference is that the lens is fixed on a bridge camera whereas you can change the lenses on a digital SLR. I am so pleased with mine and its plenty good enough for me - I still have a very long way to go to understand it but then I am a complete beginner!
    One reason I bought it was cos I didnt want to be changing lenses all the time and this one seems great for what I want. I know there are so many on the market but I got a good deal on Amazon. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

Woo This Is the fuji S9600 have the same camera as marge. dont know what you mean by bridge camera, I always get a camera that is pict bridge compatible which this fuji is.
    It depends whether you want a larger camera or something small these are quite large camera but not heavy i have a camcorder bag it goes in there or it comes with a strap to put around your neck which is great, and i agree with marge i bought the fuji as it has zoom lense attached and also it is 9 mega pixels i can get better pics of something like my lighthouse pics they were taken with the fuji.You have to be aware of camera shake i am going to have to get a tripod to get my pictures even better or put the camera somewere very still.hope this helps

5. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Thank you my friends Hyla ,Marge,Rosa you have all been a great help. [​IMG]

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    woo - if you are considering buying a dslr, be aware that the ability to change lenses also bring with it a problem, dust. as you open the camera to the elements to change a lens, dust enters the camera and gets onto the sensor. this can sometimes show up on your photo's. a regular clean with a brush and a can of compressed air helps but i understand that its best to occasionally get the cleaned at a camera shop too.
    at least one dlsr manufacturer, canon, have developed a self cleaning system. Its available on their 400d. it continually gets excellent write ups in the computer magazines and seems to be the bench mark for entry level dslr's.

having said all that, i use a bridge camera! for the photography i do, i find that the built in zoom and ability to add a wide-converter,tele-converter and filters more than adequate. its definatly cheaper and lighter, i can have images developed up to poster size without problems and i'm unlikely to ever want to sell my photo's or see them in magazines.

happy hunting! ;)

7. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Thanks Glen ,I do need a tele lens as I do a lot of wildllife photography but with a limited budget
    its difficult,My friends got the Fuji same as Rosa,another has got the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 ,Its difficult ,Its just that I read an article in my photography mag,that says most manufactures are phasing them out. [​IMG]

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    You have your answer then Woo,go for something that isn't being phased out.What zoom do you have on the camera that you already have?

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    woo, if its wildlfe you want to photograph, you need to look at the 35mm equivalant figure for the zoom, not just the 10x,12x etc. i know the fuji has an equivalant of 300 with its 10.7x zoom whilst my canon has 432 equivalant at 12x. it does make quite a difference. the reason is that the fuji has a lower starting figure (wide angle) than the canon, so is better for landscape photography. olympus have just brought out the 550uz with an 18x zoom, giving a 35mm equivalant of 500!
    it was reviewed in digital camera (may)and given an overall rating of 88%. In the value for money rating it says, "yes you can buy a super sharp dslr for this price,but matching the zoom range would triple(at least) your budget"

as i said earlier, i use the canon s3 with a teleconverter(1.7) and am more than happy with the results. i made my choice taking in to consideration many factors, price,weight,use,etc - i'm sure you'll do exactly the same and be extremely happy with your decision. There is tons of useful info in the photography mags,web sites, review sites and forums.

10. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Thanks Glen your a star,Its much appreciated. [​IMG]

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    I am just starting to get to know my Panasonic fz7 which is probably classed as a bridge camera. I am not sure how it is constructed but it seems the view finder sees the same as the lens as an SLR but maybe not with mirrors. It has far more options for for picture taking than I will ever need but I am happy with it so far. I don't know why they are supposed to becomming obsolete as although they are not a compact replacement for a DSLR they are a good substitute as they are not so cumbersome, do not need a large bag for extra lenses and are much lighter (admittedly that isn't always a good thing ). Mine has an image stabliser which compensates for camera shake or jitter.
    I got mine on ebay which had a 2G memory card with it. With a lower pixel setting(4x is still sharp) it can go from 12x up to 16x zoom.
    I would not put anyone off buying a bridge camera, they just need a little more time to master than a straight compact.

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Strongy Thanks for your Input It is most helpfull. [​IMG]

13. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, don't be too influenced by the number of Megapixels on some of these cameras, more pixels means smaller pixels usually and that brings what is termed as "noise", which can have a similar appearance to the "grain" seen on some pictures from film cameras.
    The only time you need lots of pixels is when you want to print A3 size, for most of us the majority of our pics are used on the web and 6Mp is adequate, (and cheaper).
    A bridge camera is half way between a compact and a DSLR, it has many of the functions of a DSLR except for the ability to change lenses. To compensate for this they usually have a wide zoom range of 10X or more.
    A DSLR has the advantage of being more flexible and also capable of better image quality as they have a larger sensor. Note I say CAPABLE OF not THEY GIVE better image quality, a lot depends on the lens and the exposure (and the photographer!!)
    I use a Minolta DSLR with 6Mp, the range of shutter speeds and lens apertures are wider than most if not all Bridge cams, this means I can shoot in lower light levels or faster moving objects for example.
    However for say 8 or 9 out of 10 shots a very similar result can be achieved by any good camera, be it compact, bridge or DSLR.
    The cheapest zoom is a few steps forward or back!!
    You need to decide exactly what you want from your camera.
    Everyday shots of your flowers, pets and people for display on the web, just about any camera
    with more than 3Mp and 3X zoom.
    As above but plus some landscapes, or better portraits, a bit closer to your flowers, web use and printing up to A4; 6Mp and 10X zoom top end compact or bridge.
    As above but with more control of exposure and better printing, good bridge or entry level DSLR.
    From there on it gets 4 figure expensive.
    Cheers MIKE

14. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    What a super synopsis of the range of digital cameras Mike.
    The only thing I would add is that the pixel count can make a significant contribution in some circumstances such as when you can't get close to the subject and have to rely on post photographing selective enlargement. It adds a little bit more flexibility, but like you say it all depends on the exposure and photographer. The most significant software behind a good photograph is the software holding the camera.

15. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Many thanks Mike ,and Dave all Is much clearer
    now ,excellent information I have printed It off and will keep this for future reference. [​IMG]