Bristol

Discussion in 'Wish You Were Here' started by Marley Farley, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    If you haven't been it really is a charming city.. A friend sent this to me & it really does show the city well.. I visit to shop now & then..

• Like Like x 3
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Looks very nice, Marley, but a bit far for my shopping!!:heehee:

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
      +14,123
      Aww sad... We are spoilt really, Bristol Bath Gloucester & Cheltenham are all within reach for a day out shopping.. Cardiff sometimes too..

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        I had friends who lived in City Road, Bristol for a while, with gaggles of prostitutes and drug dealers outside their front door. There used to be lots of interesting places around Picton Street (also had friends living there). All very different from The Docks, Arnolfini (been there a few times), etc. I think part of that clip was of the Bristol/Bath Cycle Path (done that loads of times). Gloucester Road used to be good for secondhand/junk shops, but I haven't been to the city in years.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Marley Farley

Ratings:
          +14,123
          Well well Scrungee we do have something in common ten... :biggrin: That area around City road was notorious.. Doesn't look that different today really.. The last time I did park & ride it went in that way.. :blue thumb: Also bought the odd stick of furniture from Gloucester Road & Licata's the Italian deli.... I am talking late 70's & very early 80's though... :SUNsmile: The world gets smaller... :SUNsmile:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,996
          We still have a few bits bought from there, plus from Walcot Reclamation visited on the way (think it's re-located from where it was) which was useful if combining visits with Walcot Festivals ('Beanos'). I seem to have forgotten the names of the Bristol the pubs, etc. I used to drink in (other than The Inkerman) and it's been a very long time indeed since I've been in places that searched you for knives at the door.

• Like Like x 1
          • Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,123
            :blue thumb: Oh yes Walcot Reclamation has moved twice now I think & is based at Bathhampton.. http://www.walcotarchitecturalsalva...9/Late-Victorian-Cast-Iron-Table-Base/5738203
            We have a friend who restores old British Bikes who also started out with Walcot Reclamation having his workshop there for quite a few years but moved to Wales.. Walcot Market & the Antiques market were also places I went there..
            Nope not been out drinking in Bristol in donkeys years now.. Far too heavy a vibe for me, but visited the Hat & Feather sometimes in the 70's... http://bathpubs.co.uk/444/archive/hat-and-feather/ Times have changed & so have the cities to suit I think..
            Inkerman's - Jamaica Inn scroll down.. http://avonpacket.co.uk/St Pauls/stpauls.htm
            I do remember the Black & White opposite as really notorious but some fantastic dominoes played in there I believe.. :biggrin:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,996
            Been to those, plus the others that opened at 04:00 am

That was my regular drinking hole whilst in the area. (were the 'ladies' such an incredibly preserved example of original tiling, sanitary fittings, etc.?, as were the Gents) and the acid etched bar screens and all sorts of other original features.

• Like Like x 1
            • Marley Farley

Ratings:
              +14,123
              This is it now Scrungee.. A shadow of it's former past... :heehee:
              http://bathpubs.co.uk/382/bath-pubs-and-bars/hudsons-bar-and-grill/

Well not having been in the gents.... I think they were both the same pretty much I think when I went there, beautiful Victorian... ;):old::heehee:

Probably all gone now though.....

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +4,585
              Worked there for 9 months in 1969.

3 things I remember about it (in no particular order)

1: Thugs kicked in my headlights and tail lights at night time on my Triumph Herald outside the YMCA.

2: Going home from work, met a real pea-souper of a fog in the city centre and everyone had to leave their cars in the middle of the road and walk home feeling the walls all the way.

3: Went out with an absolutely stunning chick named Susan. I wonder where she is now?

• Like Like x 2